Another HomeBuyers report help thread!

I hope you're not getting bored of these! FTB's who have just had our homebuyers report back this week with a few 3's. Can anyone help me with deciphering what actually needs to be done and a ballpark figure of the works please? A bit of background info:

- the property is a probate property which has been empty for over a year. We've seen it twice and on 2nd visit tried to turn the heating on / run the hot water tap - the boiler flame didn't come on so we couldn't test it. We assume the gas has been turned off as it's been vacant for so long.

- The property is 20 years old, no gas/electric safety certificates are available.

- 4 bed detached with no conservatory/green house etc (from an access POV)

The report states:

1) Outside the property: the fascias, soffitts, and bargeboards to the property are timber, the external timbers are rotten and badly weathered. repair is needed.

2) Inside: heating. The central heating contains some micro bore pipes. these have a tendency to be more prone to blockages from scale build up as well as suffering from physical damage. there are a number of older radiators in the property and these tend to corrode internally and start to leak. The system is dated and is approaching the end of its useful life.

The other 3's are all to do with the fact that there was no certificates available for electricity gas and heating.

We were expecting to have to replace the boiler, but having pipework and radiators replaced will obviously add a significant amount. Any ideas on the cost of this (ballpark) and also the timber fascias/soffits issue?

Thank you!

Replies

• jimbogjimbog Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The pipework and radiators are fine - there is nothing wrong with them.

The surveyor is saying that they will one day come to the end of their life. So will us all.
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • User1312User1312 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Thanks Jim, I guess we were worried that if we replace the boiler with a combi boiler - would the existing pipework be able to handle the new system. Therefore will we come into problems in a year or two that could have been avoided?

It's frustrating that we can't test the heating as it is now, so we're unable to comment on how quickly the radiators heat up :(
  • tykesitykesi
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    User1312 wrote: »
    Thanks Jim, I guess we were worried that if we replace the boiler with a combi boiler - would the existing pipework be able to handle the new system. Therefore will we come into problems in a year or two that could have been avoided?

It's frustrating that we can't test the heating as it is now, so we're unable to comment on how quickly the radiators heat up :(

Why can't you test it? I went for a second viewing post-survey and as part of that stuck the heating on as soon as I arrived, did what I needed to do then checked the heating was ok before switching it off before we left.
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    tykesi wrote: »
    Why can't you test it? I went for a second viewing post-survey and as part of that stuck the heating on as soon as I arrived, did what I needed to do then checked the heating was ok before switching it off before we left.

Op has stated property is empty & a probate sale & no doubt gas & electricity supply is completely turned off with it being empty for so long.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    101 Posts
    Yes that's right - it's empty and there's no gas. We checked the taps and the shower, but there was no hot water, no heating, and no flame in the boiler when turned on. There's also a gas fire which doesn't turn on and the gas cooker doesn't either. We've asked the EA to confirm with the beneficiaries that the gas has been turned off.

Electricity however is there - they have just had a smart meter installed and the screen thing was plugged in and on so we know there's a supply! Lights all OK.

Main worries are about:

- If the radiators and microbore pipes need replacing as we're replacing the boiler (and how we check this if there's no gas supply)

and

- The issues with the timber in the roofing

Thanks!
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a condition of the insurance on an empty property that the water be drained down
    User1312 wrote: »
    Main worries are about:

- If the radiators and microbore pipes need replacing as we're replacing the boiler (and how we check this if there's no gas supply)

and

- The issues with the timber in the roofing

Thanks!
    My property has microbore. I've been here 20 years and the system was probably at least 20 years already.

Over the years I've replaced the boiler, and all the rads, but the original microbore pipes still work fine.

Switching to a combi system might be different - do they work under greater pressure?

Your roofing is fine - it's the soffits etc that have rotted. These provide some protection in keeping rain away from the junction between the roof and the walls, but they are non-structural & largely decorative.

You can either

* repair the wood if not too bad, them paint
    * replace with new wood soffits etc
    * replace with new PVC soffits etc

I have an odd job man who does work at heights, who'd do this at £150 per day, and depending on the size of house and other variables would probably take 2-3 days (plus materials).

A building/roofing contractor would charge 3 times that.

If scaffolding is needed, add £500-£1000 (per day?).
    101 Posts
    thanks very much. I think we'll get the boiler and pipework looked at first and then sort the soffits out a bit later on as it's not an intrusive job. If the pipes need replacing, best to get it sorted before we move in I think!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS