Payplan Advice Please

in Debt-free wannabe
2 replies 861 views
I have been on a DMP with Payplan for a long time and have stopped paying it after finding out my debt after 14 years was £3k more than I thought it was. Over the last couple of months I have been contacting my creditors and trying to sort out getting back the interest charges they put on the account....
Anyway all the information about my debts and all my payments as on my Payplan account - they emailed me a letter today saying the have closed it as of today and I now can't access my account or any information on my account!!!
I have taken screen prints of each creditor and what I have paid in total but they sent me an email via the site giving me information of every payment I made to every creditor since the DMP started - it was 84 pages long and I was going to save it to my comp but completely forgot! I now have no access to it!
As they were just managing my debts am I right that I can ask for some sort of proof from them of opening balances and amounts paid to them even though my account is closed?
One of my creditors has offered to pay me back £53.00 but have passed a debt of £213.00 to collectors - they have sent me details of what they said I owed and paid but I need to compare it to what I have paid but I have no proof now.
Its really annoyed me a lot about Payplan as I feel they haven't really helped me at all (not contacting me for several years) and obviously didn't really negotiate to get interest and charges stopped seeing as one of my creditor accounts is more than it was when I started the DMP!
If they aren't forthcoming in giving information can I put a complaint in to the Ombudsmen to get them to give me the information?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representatives
    Hi Kittykat28

If you request the information from Payplan they should provide it. If you have any difficulties you can make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act. This means they must provide all information they hold on you within 40 days. You can find a sample letter to use here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Personal-information-under-the-Data-Protection-Act-(sole-name).aspx

Unfortunately it is not guaranteed that creditors will freeze interest and charges in a DMP, although very often they do. There will be no obligation for creditors to refund interest already charged, although you should try and negotiate no further interest is added if at all possible.

I think this is a good point to reassess your situation and seek advice from a free debt advice agency on what your options now are. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to consider a DMP again, some form of insolvency to get your debts written off, or you could negotiate yourself. Best of luck with everything.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    kittykat28 wrote: »
    I have been on a DMP with Payplan for a long time and have stopped paying it after finding out my debt after 14 years was £3k more than I thought it was.
    Its really annoyed me a lot about Payplan as I feel they haven't really helped me at all (not contacting me for several years) and obviously didn't really negotiate to get interest and charges stopped seeing as one of my creditor accounts is more than it was when I started the DMP!!

Apparently payplan deal with over 100,000 new customers every year, so if you add that to there existing client list, thats an awful lot of people wanting advice taking up their time.

These debt charities simply do not have the time, the staff, or the funding, to spend very long on any one particular case, to be honest, the advice is to chase these things up yourself, not rely on a third party for everything.

Maybe if you had followed your DMP more closely, you would of realized interest was not been stopped, that would of been the time to fire off complaints letters, to try to deal with it, DMP`s are not regulated agreements, so creditors are well within there rights to continue charging interest, if they wish.

Anyway, whats done is done, as said above, now would be a good time to re-assess your situation, do a SAR to payplan, that will get you all the info they hold on you, from that, you can write letters of complaint to your creditors, regarding historic interest charges, ask them to refund it, (dont ask, dont get) see how that develops, explain why you believe them continuing adding interest was unfair, and how you have ended up where you are now, explain the impact on your mental health, your well being, and the fact that on some accounts you now owe more than 3 years ago.

Sometimes making a nucience of yourself can work well in your favor.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals