NRAM - full and final/complaint advice

NRAM - i have an old Northern Rock Together mortgage. Part mortgage part unsecured loan, taken out in 2007 for £30,000.
We are on a self managed DMP paying them a reduced agreed amount.

We recently made a full and final offer on our NRAM loan which they have turned down, we increased it slightly and they have turned it down again. Yesterday on the phone they gave no real reason, and although the letter said call to discuss your options, we were told it was either carry on as we are or pay the full amount (not really options!)
When questioned the guy on the phone said part of the reason it was turned down was because we left stepchange (we went self managed after 1 month), I thought I had read on here that we shouldn't be treated differently if we are self managing. Is there any legislation I can quote to them in a letter regarding this?
(They guy on the phone also didn't know what a default was??)

Also they are refusing to default, as it's not their policy.
We have put in a complaint about this, as without the default they are hindering our chances of ever remortgaging elsewhere in the future.

Has anyone any advice for moving forward with them. I would really like a default registered if they are not going to accept any offer, so do we have to stop paying to force this, even though we are paying well under the contracted amount?
Many thanks in advance

Replies

• National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representatives
    Hi Heavenlyharry01

Unfortunately accepting a full & final settlement is always at a creditor’s discretion and they don’t have to give grounds as to why they have not agreed. It may be worth trying again further down the line though.

With regards to a default, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) guidance states a default should be registered once 3 to 6 months of arrears have built up. If this applies to your loan, ask NRAM to register a default. If they refuse complain to the ICO. Once a default has been registered the debt and default will drop off 6 years later. Hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals