Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

What's irritating you VI - Page 791

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

What's irritating you VI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
15K replies 700.1K views

Replies

• edited 15 October 2018 at 5:38PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 15 October 2018 at 5:38PM
    Also also, people who ask you what you're doing when it's blatantly obvious what you're doing, meaning you then have to stop what you're doing to explain what you're doing.

Sunny, what is it that you're doing? You're not in the process of moving by any chance are you? :p
    "Elegant flytipping" made me :D

Try Ikea. They have flatpack everything else, so I don't see why they shouldn't have flatpack funerary arrangements. Or buy yourself something you fancy and just stick the offending late husband in the cardboard box. ;)

Or as Willie Nelson said ... "Roll me up and smoke me when I die ...."

A long time ago I had a thread about 'arrangements'.
    I can remember specifying a marching band, horse drawn cortege, dancing girls. The whole 'waste the inheritance' milarkey. But no alcohol ...
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    colinw wrote: »
    I get a mental block on stuff if I leave it, I always have done, way back to when I started work, it is like a mental block I don't want to go back to, same with books, if I stop reading one I have a thing that stops me going back to it, hence why I have been trying to read the same book since 2009 :eek:

If you're like me, one of two things happens...

Either:

The thing to be done becomes invisible, so if you don't 'see' it, it isn't there to be done, is it?

Or:

It 'grows and grows and grows' (in my head) in size/difficulty/amount of energy needed to do it, and so becomes insurmountable and can't even be started.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My new bin might take 3 months to be delivered. In the meantime, I'm allowed to put out a certain number of black bags. Except I'm signed up for assisted collection because I can't reliably go outside and they won't move black bags (presumably a hygiene or H&S thing, I don't know). Better not order that Viking longship flatpack yet, I'm going to need room for three months' worth of black bags. :(
    Tthis might get be the occasion to ask for help from either grumpy an or hammerman?
    Help by taking the black bags out for you?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis wrote: »
    If you're like me, one of two things happens...

Either:

The thing to be done becomes invisible, so if you don't 'see' it, it isn't there to be done, is it?

Or:

It 'grows and grows and grows' (in my head) in size/difficulty/amount of energy needed to do it, and so becomes insurmountable and can't even be started.

More the second case, I just block it in my head, latest one is flights for next year, checked them a few weeks ago and now I don’t want to check them again in case they have gone up which they will have, but that thinking applies to lots of things
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with going out is linked to running into people, so I can't do that one. I'm just about coping with delivery folk at the moment, but only because I can do that without actually crossing the threshold.

I've emailed the Council again to see if they can resolve it. They can't agree that I need help but still expect me to do the thing I need help doing.

You express yourself in words really well, and you've explained to us why you need help. Could you put a note through a couple of doors explaining the situation, just as you have explained it to us?

You'd lose nothing, and might gain some sympathetic allies.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Tthis might get be the occasion to ask for help from either grumpy an or hammerman?
    Help by taking the black bags out for you?

I'm not bad with an axe ... :eek:
    I could knock on your neighbour's door wearing my horse's head and carrying my chopper ....
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I'm not bad with an axe ... :eek:
    I could knock on your neighbour's door wearing my horse's head and carrying my chopper ....

Wot, you mean you left your matches somewhere?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I had one of those yesterday too, a family bereavement apparently.

Luckily it's not something I need urgently.

The item or the bereavement?
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could, but my brain won't allow it. I'll end up obsessing over what they might think of me, thinking they'll think I'm awful for asking when they've got their own stuff to deal with.

I can ask the Council because they're paid to help me and if I ever sort out a proper helper I can ask them, but I can't ask random folk.

I hope they have not found this in your flat :cool:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture-exploration/2018/10/viking-ship-discovered-norway-archaeology/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=facebook::cmp=editorial::add=fb20181015culture-vikingshipgrave::rid=&sf200054897=1
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I wish I could, but my brain won't allow it. I'll end up obsessing over what they might think of me, thinking they'll think I'm awful for asking when they've got their own stuff to deal with.

I can ask the Council because they're paid to help me and if I ever sort out a proper helper I can ask them, but I can't ask random folk.

Sunny, people 'tick' differently.
    I'm very strange - I have 'issues'.
    We joke here, but nevertheless still have empathy for you. The 'joking' helps me.

Do the best you can ....