IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Sounds like a roof rack.

in Motoring
7 replies 894 views
gletleygletley Forumite
86 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Our Corsa C 1.2 2004 petrol, sounds like there's a roof rack attached when driving. It's that horrible humming noise, but only when the cars moving at any speed. It's not a loud noise just annoying like having a roof rack on. As we have only just bought the car and had a Ford Focus before, is it due to it being a smaller car, or hard suspension and road noise, it's very annoying, even though my husband says it's hardly noticeable. No sound at all when stationary.

Any ideas please and please don't say put the radio on.

Replies

• facadefacade Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Check around the windscreen area for any loose or missing rubber trim, as it may be wind noise.

Otherwise, could be tyres or a wheel bearing, (a wheelbearing gets louder and louder over time...)

The Corsa-C I had was very quiet, even at its maximum speed of around 75 on the flat, or 50 uphill.....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • gletleygletley Forumite
    86 Posts
    Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    Check around the windscreen area for any loose or missing rubber trim, as it may be wind noise.

Otherwise, could be tyres or a wheel bearing, (a wheelbearing gets louder and louder over time...)

The Corsa-C I had was very quiet, even at its maximum speed of around 75 on the flat, or 50 uphill.....

Did it pick up a lot of the road noise, compared to the Ford, the road noise seems very loud? Should add, it had a service yesterday, and the bearings were fine.
  • facadefacade Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Road noise is mainly due to tyres, some are very quiet, some aren't. Mine had whatever Vauxhall fitted as standard in 2003, and when I changed a pair, I stuck to the same.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • maninthestreetmaninthestreet Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Are all the windows closed properly?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • gletleygletley Forumite
    86 Posts
    Forumite
    Are all the windows closed properly?

Yes, all the windows are closed.
  • towertower Forumite
    264 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you checked under the bonnet? I believe that Corsa's have a timing chain which can be noisy.
  • OnlyAlanOnlyAlan Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Only at speed? Almost certainly the tyres. Does it vary on different road surfaces? Check tyre sizes and pressures first. As previously said on here, some makes of tyre can cause road noise.
    Money may not buy happiness .. but it lets you be miserable in comfort.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals