Query on phone rental with BT but calls with Sky ?

Options
I perhaps stupidly don't log in to my BT account to look over the bills, I just know I get charged £63 every 3 months. I use Sky for my calls so I check that each month. I decided to check my BT account just for the hell of it, and realised of course that this means I am charged £21 a month. Given I have my calls with Sky why is my monthly bill not £18 like others ? Should it be £18 a month ? Looking at my plan I have "Unlimited Weekend Plan", at £20.99 a month.

So am I being overcharged £3 a month ?

Cheers all.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You appear to be paying for a call allowance with BT but not using it. How are you using Sky for call on a BT line anyway? I thought you needed Sky totals over the rental for them to bill you for calls?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 9:15AM
    Options
    The free weekend calls is with BT broadband packages .

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All BT packages contain some element of inclusive calls, so you are paying for a calls service twice. The solution is very simple: switch your line rental to Sky.
    Assuming you have broadband with Sky too, this will also get you off the dire 'Sky Connect' service and onto a proper LLU one.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • PopcornUK
    PopcornUK Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. I have broadband with Zen but I have Sky TV. Many years ago Sky talked me in to having their Sky Talk package which left my rental with BT but moved calls to Sky. So it seems like I should just move my entire rental to Sky then to save a few quid. Are there any negatives to it ? I guess I have this stupid false logic that rental with BT is better because they are the originals.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Your SKY or ZEN line is the same BT Line .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    You could also just cancel your Sky Talk.
    When do you make most of your calls ?, you are paying for E&WE calls with BT , if that's when you make most of your calls, cancel Sky Talk and that's it, if you don't make very many calls you could cancel your E&WE plan and get inclusive Weekend calls with BT ( saves the £3 ) or if you make lots of calls and many are outside the evenings and weekend periods you could upgrade your E & WE plan and get BT Anytime call plan, doing this won't affect your line rental or broadband , switching everything to Sky would require you to take Sky broadband , so Zen broadband would be 'cancelled'...you need to consider how many calls you make and when you make them, as it may be cheaper to pay for calls individually if you make very few calls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure