🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ISA or savings account ?

Options
Hi
I'm not really sure what to do, I put 5k in an isa a couple of years back but the interest is worth nothing now

Pays out in August and I get Next to nothing

I want to buy a house in 1-2 years. I'm not sure what to do... my question is: do I get an isa and be willing to pay a get out fee ? Or is it higher paying interest in a savings account ?

I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. I will potentially need access to that money, and just want the best interest !

I also have a help to buy ISA which I put the max of 200 pounds a month and have been for a while now.

Do I lump everything in one ISA or 1 savings account or best to keep separate ? I can't put the 5k in help to buy

Any suggestions ? Any advice very much welcomed and appreciated

cheers !

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    (Non-HTB) cash ISAs and savings accounts are paying derisory interest rates these days, so your best bet is likely to use high-interest current accounts and/or regular savers, see the quick link further up the page labelled 'how to start saving' for ideas.

For example, you can get 5% on £2,500 in a Nationwide FlexDirect current account and another 5% on up to £500 per month in the associated Flexclusive regular saver account, whereas cash ISAs and typical savings accounts are in 1% territory....
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,681 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On £5k you can get 3%-5% interest outside an ISA so I certainly wouldn't bother with one other than HTB ISA. Look at regular savers and current accounts instead
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • elephantrosie
    elephantrosie Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    (Non-HTB) cash ISAs and savings accounts are paying derisory interest rates these days, so your best bet is likely to use high-interest current accounts and/or regular savers, see the quick link further up the page labelled 'how to start saving' for ideas.

For example, you can get 5% on £2,500 in a Nationwide FlexDirect current account and another 5% on up to £500 per month in the associated Flexclusive regular saver account, whereas cash ISAs and typical savings accounts are in 1% territory....

i am only getting 0.5% on my cash ISA!!!
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Open a TSB plus account. Deposit £1500. Go paperless. Cycle in/out £500 a month. 3% interest.

Open a Nationwide Flexdirect account. 5% interest for a year.

Deposit £2500 - cycle in/out £1000 a month - you could use the TSB account for this exercise, or any non-Nationwide account.

Open Flexclusive monthly saver - deposit up to £500 a month. 5% interest.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.skipton.co.uk/savings/isas/lifetime-isa

may be worth a look, depending on your circumstances.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,681 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i am only getting 0.5% on my cash ISA!!!

So why not use an account that pays 10x more?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • theredrose
    Options
    Many banks pay a higher interest on their non-ISA savings accounts vs their ISA accounts. Even if you don't want the messing around with different current accounts, cycling money through them etc., you can still get a better rate in a normal savings account, perhaps a fixed rate one for a year or two, and do much better than you would in an ISA (if your interest is below the Personal Savings Allowance).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport