CEL Angry, Stressed, Scared...Help please

Hello,

Having read NEWBIE threads and many other threads, I am now very stressed as I've clearly done several things wrong.
I'm a hospital worker where my trust runs a parking permit (struck to car window) and parking voucher (a booklet of tickets a new ticket displayed for each parking session) for workers.
As a part-time worker I use the voucher booklet.
On 6/11/16 I parked in my usual, and still used, STAFF carpark and displayed my voucher.
Approx a month later I received a PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd, with camera images of me entering and leaving the car park in my car. As I have previously received windscreen PCN's from CEL andandve dashed off quick appeals to their email address and had claims cancelled I didn't think this would be different. So I sent quick email appeal saying PCN was ridiculous as I was a member of staff parking in a staff carpark, displying a valid parking voucher ( 2 mistakes here I have acknowledged I was the driver and as I didn't have access to my vouchers at that moment I didn't include copy of the parking voucher).

I heard nothing from CEL until about another month later (Jan '17) when I received a second demand for payment. I appealed again via their email contact, including a copy of the voucher this time.

Late Feb or early March '17 I received a "notice before action" I again appealed online including previous emails and copy of the voucher, I also sent this via recorded delivery and have retained that postage evidence and asking them to give me information on the court proceedings so I could show the evidence that I was validly parked.

Again heard nothing from CEL. Have just moved house, so all my evidence is somewhere in the packing but by mail rediredtion delivered a letter from ZZPS saying they're debt recovery my case passed to them by CEL.

What do I do next? Am so angry and frustrated with these people. This is an unfair charge with no grounds, I was parked as I always park.....aaagh!

Replies

• Autolycus2000Autolycus2000 Forumite
    66 Posts
    Firstly, don't panic. Last year CEL only took 0.04% of people they gave PCNs to to court. http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Civil_Enforcement.html

Secondly, read the post in the NEWBIES thread about what to do with debt collector letters - i.e. ignore them.

Thirdly, make sure CEL and ZZPS know your new address - you don't want real court papers getting ignored because they have gone to your old address.

Fourthly, come back here and ask for help if/when you get anything official from a court.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Again heard nothing from CEL. Have just moved house, so all my evidence is somewhere in the packing but by mail rediredtion delivered a letter from ZZPS saying they're debt recovery my case passed to them by CEL.

Reply to that giving your new address - that is urgent to make sure you don't miss court papers. You could again say you have proven your right to park already (attach/scan a copy of the recorded delivery proof and the voucher AGAIN but keep the originals in a file just in case).

Finish by telling ZZPS that this is not an appeal but a 'cease and desist' letter.

Tell them that any further letters when there is no cause of action here, will be considered harassment, relying upon Ferguson v British Gas as the legal precedent - a case where there was no debt owed but a debt collector continued to write. Also add that if they or their client use your old address you will also complain to the Information Commissioner.

But relax, look! This is the best parking firm you could get a claim from right now:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5620993

No worries as long as you see your letters sooner.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • edited 1 May 2017 at 10:21AM
    The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2017 at 10:21AM
    By all means be angry, but do not get stressed, and absolutely no reason to be scared. Indeed, if PPCs come a cropper over abuse of the DPA, it is they who should be wetting their pants.

This is a try on by a company with very little credibility, and becoming known to the courts as abusers of the process. Treat it like a game of ping pong Every time you score it costs them money..

If your case is as strong as you say, you have little to fear, a judge would surely find for you, and there may be an opportunity to counter claim for you time and breaching your DPA rights. You have six years to stick one up 'em.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • EAMScaredEAMScared Forumite
    2 Posts
    Thank you for your advice. Have let ZZPS know about address change will follow up with copies of my evidence and "cease and desist". Will also contact CEL with new address details and now I know about POPLA should I push for a number for their appeals proceedure? Complain formally to my Trust?
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now I know about POPLA should I push for a number for their appeals proceedure?
    You can ask, but be prepared for a 100% disappointment. Little to no chance they will offer you one almost 6 months after the parking ticket.
    Complain formally to my Trust?
    Absolutely - the most effective way to kill a PCN, if they agree it should be cancelled.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides