Problems with refund from Vodafon.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
7 replies 1.7K views
borkidborkid Forumite
2.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
I'll try to keep this short but its been quite a saga and so far no satisfactory outcome.

Last month the mobile signal went down in my village, no one could get a signal. I contacted Vodafon via online chat the second time they said engineers working on it will be back in 1 to 2 hours.OK not bad I thought , 4 days without a signal. A few days later I contacted someone else via chat as the website said there was no problem! 45 mins later still no further forward. A week had now gone by without a signal.

So I went and bought a new phone and changed to a different supplier ( usually I can only get vodafon in the village but discovered by accident I could get O2). Still no signal from Vodafon but O2 strong. After 2 weeks I decided enough was enough and I emailed the complaints department. Received an email saying someone would ring. Guess what they called the number I was complaining I couldn't get a signal on! I was 8 miles away from the village before I could get one.

So I phoned next. Had a very helpful person who took all my new contact details and set up a request for a repayment of the balance outstanding on my PAYG account. A couple of days later I got a signal! Over two weeks without one.

Checked my bank account and no refund so wrote another email asking what was happening. Received a reply confirming what I had been told on the phone and that someone would contact me. A couple of days later I received a text saying they would call 15mins later. This was to my old phone and not the new contact details I had given. I was in a concert so the phone would have been turned of. There never was a call.

So where do I go from here. Any suggestions very welcome I am loathe just to forget the credit on old phone.

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can'r get credit back from a PAYG SIM, or transfer it to a new account. Unless they offer you something on a goodwill basis, which is unlikely now you've left Voda.
    Presumably you did not get a PAC and port the number over?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • borkidborkid Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    You can'r get credit back from a PAYG SIM, or transfer it to a new account. Unless they offer you something on a goodwill basis, which is unlikely now you've left Voda.
    Presumably you did not get a PAC and port the number over?
    I didn't port but the person I spoke to at customer service said a refund had been raised and this was confirmed in an email by someone else from customer service. I still have the credit on the phone so presumably I 'haven't left'. I probably could port but I was told if I did so then I would loose all the credit.

I suppose I could always use the credit up but as I hardly use the phone it's going to take a long time and with an unreliable signal since they upgraded the system I don't feel safe with just one phone.
  • edited 5 May 2017 at 10:36AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017 at 10:36AM
    So you didn't change provider at all. You bought a new phone (why didn't you just get a new SIM?) with a new number and kept your old phone and number active. Your old phone is PAYG, so there was nothing to cancel, unless you wanted to port the number (in which case the old SIM would become inactive, and any credit would be lost).
    As stated, there is no way to swap credit between PAYG phones. I can only think that the refund you were offered was discretionary, and based on the lack of signal issues you had.
    Voda CS is notoriously awful and it's rare for things to happen just because the agent told you they would. Assuming it's a tenner or so, I really wouldn't bother-life's too short.
    No, you haven't left, because you didn't request a number port or for the account to be closed.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • borkidborkid Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    So you didn't change provider at all. You bought a new phone (why didn't you just get a new SIM?) with a new number and kept your old phone and number active. Your old phone is PAYG, so there was nothing to cancel, unless you wanted to port the number (in which case the old SIM would become inactive, and any credit would be lost).
    As stated, there is no way to swap credit between PAYG phones. I can only think that the refund you were offered was discretionary, and based on the lack of signal issues you had.
    Voda CS is notoriously awful and it's rare for things to happen just because the agent told you they would. Assuming it's a tenner or so, I really wouldn't bother-life's too short.
    No, you haven't left, because you didn't request a number port or for the account to be closed.
    I didn't say I'd cancelled. If I'd ported I would have lost any credit I had. There was no signal for over 2 weeks and the customer service was awful apart from one occassion. My main complaint is about their customer service. When one of their agents offers to refund the credit I expect it to be done. If they didn't have the authority then they shouldn't have offered. I would rather have given the phone to someone else to use the remaining credit rather than let vodafone have it but they offered to refund it.
  • VodafoneVodafone Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    4.3K Posts
    Hi borkid,

I'm sorry to hear that you've not had the best of experiences with us recently.

If you still need help with the refund, email us via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT165.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and we'll check we've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • borkidborkid Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Lee, thanks it has now been resolved and the refund reached my account at the beginning of the week.
  • VodafoneVodafone Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    4.3K Posts
    This is great news borkid - thanks for letting me know.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals