Is my rhododendron finished

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
8 replies 1.4K views
306chris306chris Forumite
234 Posts
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
As per the title. My partner has had this for about two years and has been fine in all weathers and the garden is relatively sheltered and gets lots of sun (all day from about 10:00 to sunset)

20170421_190521.jpg

Is there anything I can do or is fit for the scrap heap. When we planted it we used ericaceous compost and have fed it as per the instructions on the feed bottle.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bedroom Tax / Spare room subsidy / Housing Benefit Reduction - It's the same thing, get over it.

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the drainage like in that pot? Looks like it might have drowned.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 306chris306chris Forumite
    234 Posts
    ✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    What's the drainage like in that pot? Looks like it might have drowned.

The drainage is good, there was a good two inch of pebbles before the compost was put in.

We just never have luck with rhododendrons but after a couple of years we were hoping this one would be a lasting addition.
    Bedroom Tax / Spare room subsidy / Housing Benefit Reduction - It's the same thing, get over it.
  • Money_makerMoney_maker Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try vine weevils.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Money_makerMoney_maker Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.glendoick.com/Rhododendron-Problems some of your leaves look notched.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfred64alfred64 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    a77f5f448a9f194ee42c551d1e10956c.jpgPhytophthora cinnamoni is a root disease which is usually fatal and often kills a plant extremely quickly. The symptoms are (usually) a sudden collapse during the growing season, usually of the whole plant or several plants in one area of the garden. Check the roots and cut into the stem of the plant. The disease is characterised by the roots turning a deep brown colour (rather than white as healthy growing roots should be). If you scrape away the bark at ground level, you will find the cambium layer below the bark has been stained a dark reddish-brown colour. The disease is caused by inadequate drainage and warm or hot soil temperatures. The combination of these is very often fatal to rhododendrons. It is most common in areas with hot summers but can occur anywhere if poor drainage is allowed to occur. Phythopthora cinnamomii is most active at a soil temperature of 29-22C (68-72F). Plants in containers are particularly susceptible, especially if watered overhead with sprinklers.
    Is there anything I can do --NO
    is fit for the scrap heap.--YES
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it doesn't like having its roots in a pot where the soil gets too hot. Try either planting it out in the garden or moving the pot to a shadier site.
  • mollycatmollycat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'd get that out the pot and into the ground just to make sure, but i suspect Alfred, (post #6 is right).

Good luck.
  • 306chris306chris Forumite
    234 Posts
    ✭✭
    mollycat wrote: »
    I'd get that out the pot and into the ground just to make sure, but i suspect Alfred, (post #6 is right).

Good luck.

It looks like Alfred was indeed right. I had a look at the roots fearing the worst and they were virtually non existent and what root was there was brown all the way through.

Where it was located is a right sun trap so I don't think that has helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals