🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can I claim from 1994?

Options
I have recently found a letter from HFC Bank regarding the last payment of a loan I had with then ending 1994. I remember taking out that loan and having to take out PPI with them as compulsory. I had very good benefits from work at the time. I have no paperwork other than one with an account number and the name of the salesperson who sold the loan.
Is it worth me trying to claim back?
I don't believe it!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Without documentation a complaint about something which took place over 25 years ago is usually a non-starter. You can't even show that there was any PPI, let alone that it was compulsory.

The name of the staff member will not help you, as it's more than likely that all records of this finance have been deleted.

Your first port of call is to the Bank, to enquire if there are still records.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember taking out that loan and having to take out PPI with them as compulsory.

If it was compulsory then it cant have been missold.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HSBC have the HFC accounts, as above, 25 years on chances are they will have long since deleted the records (or even not bothered taking them over when they were bought)
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HSBC/HFC will probably say they cannot find any details relating to this loan so you will have to find evidence to show that PPI was included like a credit agreement or policy.

When I sent my complaint to HFC with the original agreement from 1996, they said I had to provide proof of payment. Fortunately I managed to obtain bank statements showing the HFC loan direct debits leaving my current account at the time.

I had one other loan from the 1990's (from a different lender) but no reference number or credit agreement, so this particular complaint has stalled because the bank either cannot, or will not, try and locate the details. Anyway, at least you have the HFC account number which is vital in older complaints

If your loan was unsecured it may have been set up with a single PPI premium which are good grounds for mis-selling. Best of luck.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try submitting a subject access request under the DPA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport