reclaim life assurance

Options
When I took out my mortgage I was advised to take out a life assurance policy.
However I had death in service policy with my employer, this would have covered the mortgage several times over.
You are just coerced at the time to take it out.
Would I stand a chance with a claim?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 9:53AM
    Options
    In what way were you coerced? Did you tell the advisor of your work policy and are you confident it would have covered all your needs? Did you continue to work for the same employer for the full length of your mortgage?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I took out my mortgage I was advised to take out a life assurance policy.
    Most people are advised to do this and with good reason. Which is why most people are sensible and do it.
    However I had death in service policy with my employer, this would have covered the mortgage several times over.

Death in service is nice to have but it rarely covers the financial needs of a family. Its primary purpose is to cover the loss of income in the short term and go some way to replace lost pension benefits caused by early death. Even then it is not usually enough.

It is normal to disregard DIS when dealing with life assurance covering a mortgage.
    You are just coerced at the time to take it out.

Make your mind up. Your first line said you were advised to take it out. Your third line says you were coerced. Which is it?
    Would I stand a chance with a claim?

If you die, then yes. If you mean complaint, then nothing you have said indicates any reason why a complaint should be upheld.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure