I need of P45 / tax advice.

Hi guys

I am in need of some help with my tax records/IR.

Brief rundown of my work history (this is important, sorry!): I worked for Levi Strauss on a PAYE basis until December 2005. I then worked for a door-to-door marketing firm for about six months in 2006. After that I travelled and didn't take any paid work. Then in Dec 2006 / Jan 2007 I started working for myself. I recently saw an accountant and he said everything was fine for them to proceed doing my tax returns.

However, the problems started to arise when he requested my P45 for the marketing/door to door firm. I don't ever recall giving in my P45 to the marketing firm because they never asked for it. I also heard that the firm folded recently, not sure if that's relevant or not, but it might give an idea of the type of company it was. ;) By the way, I was paid on a commission basis (absolutely NO basic salary).

Basically, I'm worried that I have not been paying tax for this. I was told by one of my ex-colleagues at this marketing firm that we we're not meant to pay tax, not sure how accurate that was. I regret now not looking further into it at the time, but I was just naive I suppose? :confused:

How do I go about finding this out? I don't want to ring up the IR and then have them send me a bill for ££££s in tax, or prosecute me, or whatever. I estimate I only earned circa £10k when I worked for this marketing firm. I also can't contact them because their number no longer works.

Thanks in advance. I'm very worried.

-spunko.
"The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."

Comments

• As you already have the services of an accountant who will be in possession of all your facts, why not ask them for advice as how to proceed?
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • morgani
    morgani Posts: 228 Forumite
    as bean has said being you already have an accountant i would seek further advice from them
    Running challenge 2014 = 689k / 800k
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but my daughter has had hell and high water trying to get her tax rebate. She is aged 18 and is still in full time college eduction. She has had a few part time jobs and paid tax in all. However, due to some companies giving in P45/6 and some not the HMRC had no info on her. So in March 07, she filled in a form to claim a rebate and therefore all her jobs. They replied in June saying we need some more P45's. She managed to get these and sent them in July. However the HMRC say they are behind with their post and still only dealing with post from 3 July. Therefore this is dragging on and I bet they will just write again and ask for something else. She has just started a new job and therefore will need to fill in another P46, and I am worried that she will start paying more tax. Is there anything she can do to push this on. Her last payslips did show she had paid around £300 tax. Any advice?????
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Yes, she probably will start paying more tax. As it's a term time job there is no way around this.

(For holiday jobs a P38(S) will stop tax being deducted in the first place)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure