PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Is our buyer being cheeky!

edited 31 March 2017 at 4:21PM in House buying, renting & selling
9 replies 2.1K views
lisamarie2017lisamarie2017 Forumite
1 Post
edited 31 March 2017 at 4:21PM in House buying, renting & selling
I wonder if anyone could offer me their thoughts on this.

We're selling our house that has had a tenant in for 4 years so we can buy a house where we now live (in a different area)

We had a cheeky offer from someone very quickly who offered to do all the work on the house if we'd sell at a discount (as opposed to us doing the work and then selling once tenant had moved out) so it was ideal as living in a different area makes thing difficult.

We're now 8 weeks into the sale an we're hoping to exchange next week, and the buyers solicitors are asking for documents our solicitors deems uneccessary and which we don't have and will cost £100's of pounds to get and possibly take 2 to 3 weeks to get. Ontop of these the buyers solicitors are very slow.

The searches they are asking for relate to original building regulations and planning permission which we never got when we bought the house from the original buyers (it's a 16 year old house)

My argument is the buyer is getting the house at a huge discount a price we could easily achieve if we go to market, so if his solicitors want them he should pay! (details of searches they want are below)

1. Letter of consent for the original construction of the property (or provide an indemnity policy)
2. The planning permission for the original construction of the property
3. The Building Regs Certificate for the original construction of the property
4. Gas Safe Certificate (or CORGI) for the installation of the central heating system.

Are we being a bit unreasonable or too soft considering he's knows we live away from the area and things we just want to get rid of the house for ease?

thanks in advance

Replies

• We made the mistake of buying a house (from family) without going through the proper processes of getting all the documentation of building regs, boiler services, land registry checks etc (we were a cash buyer so no mortgage provider to insist on it) and we are now having a nightmare selling it, 18 months later. Turns out the previous owner didn't get building regs certification for some alterations so we have had to have an inspection and make some changes (replace windows etc), the boundary wasn't where we were led to believe it was so we have had to get a land transfer from Land Registry (thankfully the owner of the land which we thought was ours didn't mind us having it and didn't charge us for it! PHEW!)

Of course this has all been at our own cost, frankly we were negligent when purchasing not to have got everything thoroughly checked out. Moral of the story - don't skip ticking boxes when you buy because you will struggle to tick those boxes when you sell!

I don't think your buyer is being cheeky - I would imagine that their mortgage provider will insist on all that documentation (discount or no discount!). That's certainly the situation with our buyer. We are still waiting for our final certificate of building regs (for work that was done before the house was ours) and then we can exchange.. hopefully next week!
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ontop of these the buyers solicitors are very slow.

Your buyer is obviously in no rush.
  • ACGACG Forumite
    22.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Ask them or offer to pay for indemnity policies. I have had to pay for one on my house for some windows I have had done and a wall which was knocked down before I bought the house - £40. To me it was not worth arguing about so I paid it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ThePants999ThePants999 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the house is let, you already have a gas safe certificate, right?
  • juniordocjuniordoc Forumite
    366 Posts
    Sounds like your buyer is being sensible and doing their homework.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    My argument is the buyer is getting the house at a huge discount; a price we think we could easily achieve if we go to market, so if his solicitors want them he should pay!

I have corrected that for you.

There is one way you can test your belief. You know what it is, so why aren't you doing it?
  • scrivscriv Forumite
    94 Posts
    Having just sold a property, we had to provide all such documentation. Think it's the norm regardless of whoever you sell it too.
  • FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When I bought last year my mortgage provider insisted on either the documentation or indemnity policy for everything. It is the norm for the vendor to supply and or pay for these.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My argument is the buyer is getting the house at a huge discount a price we could easily achieve if we go to market, so if his solicitors want them he should pay! (details of searches they want are below)

1. Letter of consent for the original construction of the property (or provide an indemnity policy)
    2. The planning permission for the original construction of the property
    3. The Building Regs Certificate for the original construction of the property
    4. Gas Safe Certificate (or CORGI) for the installation of the central heating system.
    Any discount on the price had been agreed presumably because of the condition of the property, not because you were lacking paperwork. How long ago did you buy, and why didn't you get any of the above at the time? They're pretty normal things to expect for a 16yo house, even more so if it was only 12 or fewer years old when you bought.

Can you check online if the planning/building regulations exist? If so then it's just an admin fee for getting copies, hardly worth quibbling about.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals