PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house in the same area

Is it ok to move house, but stay in the same area?

We like the area we live in, its got good neighbours and near a good school.

However, we would like a bigger garden and a driveway - something impossible in our current house. We have been looking and a house has come up near us with a huge garden and a driveway. The thing is, it would mean another 8 years on the mortgage (increasing the monthly payments by about £100 a month which is affordable), and the house is about the same size - except with a driveway and a garden.

Is it ever ok to move, but stay in the same area? We are not getting more bedrooms, if anything we are losing space as we currently have a loft (Something the new house doesn't have). Its just the driveway and garden we are gaining.

Replies

• Why would it not be ok?
  • Scorpio33Scorpio33 Forumite
    702 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well usually people move for more bedrooms or a better area, we are not.

So it begs the question, why move? The answer I suppose is for the garden and parking.

So what price would you put on a bigger garden and a driveway?
  • Scorpio33 wrote: »
    So what price would you put on a bigger garden and a driveway?

£347.86

I'd go to £350.14 if the driveway was block paved.
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    33.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    8 years on the mortgage and another £100 a month for the duration is an awful lot for a similar sized house in the same area.

Why so much for a drive and bigger garden?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • arthurdickarthurdick Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Block paved , Herringbone, but in the same area, dodgy call, I'd say with the bigger garden and driveway for that area, the ceiling limit would have to be just over what TYKESI has said.
    Roughly.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait.
  • cyantistcyantist Forumite
    560 Posts
    Can you cope with less space if you were no longer to have a loft? Are you likely to want an extra bedroom at any point?
    I wouldn't go to the hassle of moving just for a driveway and more garden and certainly wouldn't pay that much more. Instead I
    would look for something that had those as well as more internal space, but I guess that might mean even more on the mortgage.
  • elversonelverson Forumite
    808 Posts
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Is it ok to move house, but stay in the same area?

We like the area we live in, its got good neighbours and near a good school.

However, we would like a bigger garden and a driveway - something impossible in our current house. We have been looking and a house has come up near us with a huge garden and a driveway. The thing is, it would mean another 8 years on the mortgage (increasing the monthly payments by about £100 a month which is affordable), and the house is about the same size - except with a driveway and a garden.

Is it ever ok to move, but stay in the same area? We are not getting more bedrooms, if anything we are losing space as we currently have a loft (Something the new house doesn't have). Its just the driveway and garden we are gaining.

Of course it's OK. If people are moving out of the area there's probably an external factor involved - job relocation, school catchments, retiring to the coast, etc.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    On the street where I grew up one of my neighbours moved to the house next door!

My general life rule is that you can do anything you want so long as it doesn't hurt anyone.:)
  • I wouldn't move for such a small gain in property enjoyment. I'd pay more for a bigger upgrade.
  • ProDaveProDave Forumite
    3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is nothing wrong in what you propose. Moving to get a bigger garden and drive is a perfectly valid reason to move. It probably opens the scope to extend the house later on if you want more accommodation.

I hate the tv property programs that poo poo anyone that won't buy a house because it does not have it's own drive. To some people (me) that is very important.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals