IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Peel Centre Parking Ticket (Threatening court letters) - Is this a valid defence?

Hi,

First time poster, but I am having trouble with the private parking company, Excel Parking. I have followed advice from other online forums saying to "ignore the threatening letters" however they have now passed this case onto a legal company called 'BW Legal' - asking for £160, which is ridiculous.

First: Are BW Legal a reputable company that I should take seriously?

Secondly - the defence: When I parked in the Peel Centre car park, I had displayed my Low Emissions parking permit, which allows me to park in any pay and display car parks within Stockport (so I thought). When I had appealed initially, I had sent them a copy of my parking permit and told them I am eligible to park there for free, however they had dismissed my appeal. More threatening letters kept coming, saying they will take me to court.

However, I have recently found images of the Terms and Conditions that are displayed in the car park, and nowhere does it say that Low Emissions permits are not eligible in the car park. It also does not state on the Low Emissions permit Terms and Conditions that you are not allowed to park in private car parks.

Is this a valid defence? If so, what should my next step be?

Thanks.

Replies

• fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Clalemem wrote: »
    Hi,

First time poster, but I am having trouble with the private parking company, Excel Parking. I have followed advice from other online forums saying to "ignore the threatening letters" however they have now passed this case onto a legal company called 'BW Legal' - asking for £160, which is ridiculous.

First: Are BW Legal a reputable company that I should take seriously?

Secondly - the defence: When I parked in the Peel Centre car park, I had displayed my Low Emissions parking permit, which allows me to park in any pay and display car parks within Stockport (so I thought). When I had appealed initially, I had sent them a copy of my parking permit and told them I am eligible to park there for free, however they had dismissed my appeal. More threatening letters kept coming, saying they will take me to court.

However, I have recently found images of the Terms and Conditions that are displayed in the car park, and nowhere does it say that Low Emissions permits are not eligible in the car park. It also does not state on the Low Emissions permit Terms and Conditions that you are not allowed to park in private car parks.

Is this a valid defence? If so, what should my next step be?

Thanks.

Forget that, this is private land your points about low emissions are not valid.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is this a valid defence?
    No. As fisherjim has said, any local Council rule doesn't cover private car parks!

However, every case here where people have defended v Excel, has been won by the victims in court so far, because their legal reps BW Legal are hopeless, we find. Expect a court claim so read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread to get a heads up on what to do.

Don't pay this bunch of ex-clampers; the rich 'Captain Clampit' owner is not worthy of your money.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals