Inheritance Tax on Pension

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
3 replies 601 views
Old_SlapheadOld_Slaphead Forumite
2.7K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Suppose I had a pension fund of £1million (I wish) that gave an annual pension of say £60,000pa with 2/3rds to partner (common law, not civil partnership) on my demise - would that pension payment be deemed to be part of my estate for IHT and, if so, how would the gross value be assessed?

Replies

• EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.Pensions are not part of your estate for IHT purposes. Obviously the spouse's pension in payment will be subject to income tax, just like the main pension.If the pension comes from a fund in income drawdown, it can be paid to heirs on your demise in cash, minus a 35% tax charge (effectively you are repaying the pension tax relief) but no IHT.

If you die before you start taking the pension the whole fund goes to heirs tax free.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also consider that "common law" has very little meaning in UK law, in particular there is no IHT exemption
  • Andy_L wrote: »
    Also consider that "common law" has very little meaning in UK law, in particular there is no IHT exemption

Furthermore the partner you live with is not a "common law" anything whatever rights can be realised have nothing to do with common law - its a complete misnomer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals