Costs re funeral

Hi all, sorry, don't mean to bring anyone down.

Our wee furry boy died last night, he was a rescue cat and we had him for two wonderful years where he learned to trust humans again and became my bf's best friend, so very very sad just now. The house feels odd without a little furry body brushing up against your legs miaowing for some chicken!

... anyway, have to think straight for a bit, just wanting to know if anyone knows the average costs of cremating a cat? We have a shared garden and don't know if we should bury him or cremate.

Again, didn't mean to bring anyone down but a little advice would be good.

Thanks GJ x

Comments

• tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    so sorry for your loss- i lost my girl last week so know what you are going through :-(

off the top of my head (used to be a vet nurse), you can have communal or individual cremation. the crematorium will either collect from the vets, or you can take him there yourselves. with individual crems you usually have a choice of either a cardboard container for scattering, or a more substantial, decorative container for keeping.

rough prices:

communal cremation - £25-30

individual with ashes back - £80-100

Some pet crems also offer you the option of having your pet buried there, in a proper pet graveyard, although I have no idea about prices. And of course the most economical option is home buriel. I also have a shared garden, but have no intentions of moving, and no objections from my neighbours, so pooch is buried out back. personally i felt happiest with this, as i know she is still close by.

if you do decide to go for cremation, i would advise taking your pet to the crematorium yourself if possible, as i have seen the odd vets in my time who do not treat our late furry friends with the dignity they deserve :(

if you google pet crem, you should be able to find your most local one quite easily. i went through all this last week, and its awful because time is of the essence as i'm sure you are aware. i found it quite easy to get lots of info with a quick google though.

hope that helps, and big hugs

xxx
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm afraid I don't have a clue as to funeral costs, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am you've lost your boy.

You obviously loved him very much, and gave him a lovely life with you.

All the best to you and your bf xxx
  • Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    I'm really sorry for your loss. We lost our precious cat a short time ago & had him cremated. The cost of the cremation & casket (which was attached to a photo frame) was about £150 which I thought was a very good price. Although they treated him with so much respect & dignity, I would have paid anything.
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Sorry to hear about your little guy. We lost one of ours last year in a sudden death, and it took ages for us all (2 humans, 3 other cats) to get used to him not being around so I understand your loss.

We had Homer individually cremated via the service the vets use. His ashes are stored in a small carved wooden box (like Indian-style carvings). The cost was £96 but we also had an autopsy for another £42 as we had his siblings and wanted to check there wasn't a hereditory problem.

Don't know if this will help the decision but we decided not to bury Homer, as we expect to move and would want to take him with us.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    God bless you i know the feeling, its terrible, but i would like to point out its now actually illegal to bury him in the garden!
  • tankgirl1
    roddydogs wrote: »
    God bless you i know the feeling, its terrible, but i would like to point out its now actually illegal to bury him in the garden!

no it isnt (at least not in england) see Q3

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/fallen/disposalqa.htm#3

thats from the defra website- ie the goverment
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

• Sorry to hear the sad news, I know it might seem a long way off but one day you'll be able to look back and smile when you think of him instead of feeling sad.

I had my cat individually cremated earlier this year and the cost including a beech casket was £115. The crematorium my vets use used to offer a cardboard casket which was obviously cheaper (it still looked really nice, was coloured and had little flowers on the top) but apparently they've stopped doing that now so the minimum cost is with the beech casket. I guess it varies from vet to vet depending on which crematorium they use and how much of a cut the vet takes.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Remember Our Love[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was chosen that day
    I'm learning to fly
    the world took me away,
    but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
    to try and be strong
    so please don't you cry
    and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
    just remember our love,
    I'm up near the stars
    looking down from above.

Remember our love
    In a moment you'll see
    that I'm still here beside you
    when you're thinking of me.[/FONT]
  • tankgirl1
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Remember Our Love[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was chosen that day
    I'm learning to fly
    the world took me away,
    but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
    to try and be strong
    so please don't you cry
    and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
    just remember our love,
    I'm up near the stars
    looking down from above.

Remember our love
    In a moment you'll see
    that I'm still here beside you
    when you're thinking of me.[/FONT]

thats lovely- thanks for sharing....
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I loved our cat. Had him about 12 years. He died about 25 years ago.
    He'd died in the night and mum had buried him in the garden - just wrapped him in a sheet and popped him in a hole.
    Then she told me when I got home from work - she said she knew I'd never go to work if I knew he'd died the night before.

I so wanted to stroke him one more time and say goodbye.

I still think of him now. And if I ever got the chance, I'd still like to dig him up and say goodbye.
    :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport