Must have apps for Canada/US trip

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
7 replies 921 views
tengis19tengis19 Forumite
47 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
We're flying into Vancouver for 4 days then take a train down the west coast to LA & across to Texas/Louisiana taking 5 weeks to do the trip. Are there any must have apps to download for use out there? We're looking for mainly money saving/coupons etc. but anything useful would be great.
Thanks

Replies

• prenton01prenton01 Forumite
    260 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Groupon apps for sure
    We traveled from Las Vegas to SA via LA and then flew to Niagara falls and saved a fortune on tourist deals and resturants using groupon
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • tengis19tengis19 Forumite
    47 Posts
    prenton01 wrote: »
    Groupon apps for sure
    We traveled from Las Vegas to SA via LA and then flew to Niagara falls and saved a fortune on tourist deals and resturants using groupon

Thanks for this.

I have found an app called Gas Buddy for finding the cheapest fuel. Although I can't install it over here due to location restrictions but the website for them works just as well.
  • stevie11stevie11 Forumite
    682 Posts
    Gas Buddy is a good reference for prices whilst travelling but I wouldn't go out of the way to save a few cents on a litre or gallon.

I have had the same problem with accessing certain apps whilst abroad and as you say it must be a restriction possibly with the google account for the app store.

On my last US trip I subscribed to entertainment.com for $10. An an app or web based list of coupons, although I never used any in the end.
    Have a good trip
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I have had the same problem with accessing certain apps whilst abroad and as you say it must be a restriction possibly with the google account for the app store.
    The easiest way around this problem is to set up a second Google account with a US zip code and add this to your device.
    I did this (and this shows that I live in Beverly Hills 90210) and when on this account, I can access any apps that are restricted to US residents only even if I'm not in the US at the time.

I also funded it with a $10 card (available in any supermarket in the US) to enable me to pay for a couple of cheap apps I wanted).
  • michele-pmichele-p Forumite
    769 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    we found City Mapper very useful in New York, sure it would be good in other cities too.

If it helps, I got a 3 sim card for our holiday, to make use of the free calls to the UK, with a £15 top up for a month I believe.

We also used the uber app - signed up after searching google for "free $30 Uber sign up).

For Groupon USA, you can use the hotel's address, or the main bulk of your UK address, but use a US Zip code - or it won't accept your order.
  • tengis19tengis19 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Thanks for all the input.
    I've got a load of planning to do to get the best value I can. There's nothing worse finding out after I've paid full whack for something that could be cheaper using a coupon/deal for the activity.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of things worse! Saving money is nice but the main thing is to enjoy your holiday.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals