PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to clear an old restriction from your mortgage

Hi, I see the land registry has an official agent here to help so hopefully I may get an easy answer :)

I had a restriction placed on my property many years ago which was subsequently paid within the year (2008). I thought no more about it until I have come to re-mortgage the house.

Although they are the existing mortgage owners (Barclays) they say they cannot now re-mortgage until this is cleared from the mortgage deeds.

a) why is this not done automatically when the debt is paid
b) how do I now go about having it removed?

Thank you for any help
Simon

Comments

• gembert83
    gembert83 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hello I am taking it the restriction is in the previous lenders favour. Many lenders require a restriction put in place on registration of their charge. When you pay off a mortgage there are some lenders who leave a minimal balance as it was a way of leaving a mortgage open and you possibly able to take out a further advance with that lender rather than taking out a whole new mortgage. If the charge has been redeemed contact the lender - in writing may be best telling them when it was paid off and asking them to deal with the withdrawal of the restriction. They may have also just forgotten to do this - it happens quite often!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure