council tax

I hope somone can help me if you paying debt that you owe the council tax eg wages arrestment could in come under the heading
EAS scotland
Husband got us debt due to his gambling hes now getting help and we sorting things out.
there also a bit on his payslip that says council tax 0.00 but he says because his wages are done by an english firm it come of as a diffrent heading? this is coming off between 30/50 a week depends what he earns
i cannot phone the council tax because he says they phoned him and he told them he was the one working, and I dont want my wages arrested too but will be paying full amount plus £30 extra every month
all avise welcome
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Firstly, council tax must be paid.

Phone the council yourself and ask for help and advice.
    Also ask you husband for proof of the payment.

Don't take this wrongly but you seem to be taking your husbands advice - I quote:
    "i cannot phone the council tax because he says they phoned him and he told them he was the one working"
    "but he says because his wages are done by an english firm it come of as a diffrent heading"

Maybe he's burying his head a bit as he is the one with the gambling problem.
    You should think seriously about getting advice direct from the council.

Good Luck
  • stellagypsy
    stellagypsy Posts: 416 Forumite
    feefee - as a couple living together you are joint and severally liable for Council Tax - ie you BOTH owe it, if one of you can't/won't pay they will make the other one pay it. Also PLEASE do not mess them around becuse this is one debt where the ultimate non-payment sanction is JAIL. And believe me (I know as it was my job to do this, in another life) they will go for you both.

Ring Council Tax asap on Monday and find out for yorself what is going on, be totally honest with them about the situation, all they want is the money, they will try and help you but you MUST contact them and tell them what is going because if it is not being paid, they may assume that you fall in to the "won't pay" category and proceed accordingly. You need to do this as through no fault of your own you would be tarred with the same brush as your hubby, if this is not being paid.

I would have thought the item on the pay slip should read "Attachement of Earnings" -the ones I have seen do 'cos that is what it is and it needs to be clear to anyone who reads the pay slip what the deduction is for. It should be for a set amount per month / week - what does the liability order from the Court say?Perhaps it might be under the local Council's name or perhaps "Court Orders / Fines" - do you know what "EAS Scotland" stands for? AFAIK there is no discretion for the employers, they are compelled to make the deductions if they are the subject of a Court Order. Have you actually seen the Liability Order / Attachment of Earnings Order from the Court? What does that say?

HTH, and please do not worry about ringing them - they are not ogres, they will help you to sort this out.

Stella xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport