Claim been with PPI company over 3 years - Excessive.??!!

Options
I enlisted a PPI reclaim company to handle my claim over 3 years ago and at first correspondence was swift and clear.
After they initially lodged the complaint on my behalf they told me it was a matter of waiting on the banks' response and they would contact me in due course.
This was the last time they contacted me , so after a few months I called , to be told that my claim had not been answered by the bank and they had now referred case to Ombudsman for me.
After several more months of no contact I again called, only to be told that the claim had been rejected and they had in turn now made an appeal on my behalf on the decision .
I have made a couple of calls over the last year to enquire on progress and apparently the appeal is still ongoing and yet to be decided by the Ombudsman.
I feel that the lack of communication from the claims company is very poor , and that it seems strange that the Ombudsman would have one small case rumbling on for such an extended time.
Has anyone experienced a similar situation or have any advice on how to proceed if the company I am using appear to be lacking in their efforts.? Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The firm you complained about would write to you to let you know the decisions. The FOS would write to you as well. The fact you are not getting anything is a concern. It is possible that nothing has happened. There have been some CMCs that took up front fees that have done nothing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Shireman_2
    Options
    Yeah., the lack of any correspondence whatsoever from the bank or FOS at any point is the concerning part for me.
    At the last point I contacted the claims company in November , I was told that they do not routinely give updates on individual cases as they can take so long to resolve , but I would expect some basic communication periodically to advise that claim was still live and being actively pursued for me .
    They said that it could take up until the projected end date for ppi cases of June '19, but I just find it very hard to believe that the FOS would have any single small case run for up to 5 years.
    I am not sure if there is any way in which I can contact the bank or ombudsman to check if they can confirm the claim is in fact still ongoing.
    I emailed the claims company to ask if there were any case reference numbers etc they had that I could make enquiries to the ombudsman with but received short shrift , I imagine incase I were to try and proceed on my own and renege on the fees due to them in case of success.
    The whole handling by my seemingly unwisely chosen company just feels very unprofessional and lacking in service. If only I had used this site back then and realised the help available to claim by yourself.!
    Very frustrating. !!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just ring the bank and ask. The claims company simply acts on your behalf, it's still your account and your complaint and you may find out they are waiting for information or something because they only have 8 weeks to respond before you can escalate to the FOS so 3 years is cazy
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Shireman wrote: »
    Very frustrating. !!

Have you actually been charged any upfront fee by the Claims Management Company?

If so, I'd be VERY concerned.

If not, the company has every incentive to progress your case and so get their fee.
  • hnn2210
    Options
    I filled out an online form on Facebook’s Spring pleasant, with my name, date of birth, postcode&address to check if I had any PPI. Then realised that spring pleasant is actually The Claims guys!
    Does this mean I am now committed to using them if I were to have any PPI, am I contractually bound yet? Can I still claim PPI myself?
    When does it become formal contract?
    The stories on this forum is very worrying.
    Thank you in advance for any information.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hnn2210 wrote: »
    I filled out an online form on Facebook’s Spring pleasant, with my name, date of birth, postcode&address to check if I had any PPI. Then realised that spring pleasant is actually The Claims guys!
    Does this mean I am now committed to using them if I were to have any PPI, am I contractually bound yet? Can I still claim PPI myself?
    When does it become formal contract?
    The stories on this forum is very worrying.
    Thank you in advance for any information.

You don't need to ask this twice :)

No signed contract = no they can't act for you

Claim yourself
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Four times....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Shireman_2
    Options
    No upfront fees paid , no win no fee scenario and pretty sure I signed to have them act on my behalf, so tied in with them.
    Will try calling bank myself, see if they can shed any light on where things currently stand.
    Thanks for replies.
  • Leann10
    Options
    Hi I am having a problem with my ppi claim gone on nearly 6 months and getting no can you give me any advise please
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Leann10 wrote: »
    Hi I am having a problem with my ppi claim gone on nearly 6 months and getting no can you give me any advise please

Yes. Contact whoever is dealing with your complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure