In a PPI Claim far, far away

Options
Please accept my sincere apologies for asking questions that probably have been asked before, but I really hope you all can help.

I am certain I had PPI on two car purchases aroun 2000/2002, I know who I bought the cars from but not who the finance was with and also don't know any of the account details. Does this preclude me from making a claim due to lack of information, date or can I write (using one of the templates to the dealer) please?

I am also sure I had PPI as part of a mortgage in 1998/1999, again I know who the mortgage was with but don't have the account numbers, can I make a claim on this basis please?

Again I am sorry, I feel that I have paid PPI but am not sure how to identify the right required information, how to then ask for a claim to be processed, even if I am entitled to make a claim, it really is basic stuff and I do have a temptation to go to a claims handler, but am really hoping for a guardian angel from here to assist.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Michael24 wrote: »
    ...I am certain I had PPI on two car purchases aroun 2000/2002, I know who I bought the cars from but not who the finance was with and also don't know any of the account details. Does this preclude me from making a claim due to lack of information, date or can I write (using one of the templates to the dealer) please?...

Car dealerships were not regulated before 2005. That could be a problem.
    Michael24 wrote: »
    ..I am also sure I had PPI as part of a mortgage in 1998/1999, again I know who the mortgage was with but don't have the account numbers, can I make a claim on this basis please?...

You can make a complaint about the sale, but what would your complaint reasons be? Somebody will be along in a minute to explain why Mortgage PPI is not such a bad thing.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the sale was pre-2005 through a car dealership then it'll be bounced as pre-regulation, you complain to the car dealership, the finance provider is irrelevant unless the salesman worked for them.

Mortgage PPI is an extremely useful and valid package that could save your home if you were unable to work for whatever reason (redundancy, illness etc). It normally does not overlap with employment benefits meaning you can't use "I get xyz paid sick" as a miss-sale reason. Moreover, unless it was sold by the finance company you'd have to complain to where you bought it from (usually a broker) and pre-2005 again unless the broker worked for the finance company and the company were covered by a pre-2005 regulatory body
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am also sure I had PPI as part of a mortgage in 1998/1999, again I know who the mortgage was with but don't have the account numbers, can I make a claim on this basis please?
    You havent given a basis of complaint. Most MPPI complaints fail. So, what is the basis of your complaint?
    A lot of MPPI is put in place by mortgage brokers/advisers. Most of these did not become regulated until Jan 2005. So, dont have to consider complaints of earlier sales.
    Did you buy yours via a broker or via the lender?
    What are the reasons for mis-sale (if bought via lender)?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure