northern rock ppi claim

Options
Hi all this is my first post and just hope someone can point me in the right direction,i am trying to sort a ppi claim for my mother who has no idea about ppi,she started her morgage with the North of England building society in 91 and finished it in 2013,this first building society was then taken over by Sunderland and Southshields building society which in turn was taken over by Northern Rock where her morgage finished with,the actual ppi she was sold was with Eagle Star,the question is where do i start,can anyone help who has had a similar problem,thanks in advance.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    capthooky wrote: »
    Hi all this is my first post and just hope someone can point me in the right direction,i am trying to sort a ppi claim for my mother who has no idea about ppi,she started her morgage with the North of England building society in 91 and finished it in 2013,this first building society was then taken over by Sunderland and Southshields building society which in turn was taken over by Northern Rock where her morgage finished with...

It seemed what actually happened, was that the Sunderland and Shields building society 'took over' the North of England building society in June 1986, and the Sunderland and Shields building society then changed its name to the North of England building society. But no matter, the Northern Rock BS took over the North of England BS in October 1994, and became a PLC in 1997.

At least that's what it says here.
    https://www.bsa.org.uk/bsa/media/migrateddocuments/mergers_part_one_for_website
    capthooky wrote: »
    ...,the actual ppi she was sold was with Eagle Star,the question is where do i start,can anyone help who has had a similar problem,thanks in advance.

The question would be, start with what?

Presumably what you mean is that your mother wants to complain that she was mis-sold this Eagle Star Policy back in 1991. If indeed it was sold to her by the North of England BS back in 1991, then you would start with Northern Rock plc aka NRAM.

See here
    http://www.n-ram.co.uk/ppi/secured-loan-ppi

Or she could contact the Eagle Star and ask them. Although they have long since been taken over by Zurich.

https://www.zurich.co.uk/en/personal/support/making-a-complaint

Are you sure that the Eagle Star policy was mortage PPI policy? I don't know if they even sold such policies back in 1991.

Why do you think it was mis-sold?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the actual ppi she was sold was with Eagle Star,

Are you sure that is PPI? Eagle star were more commonly associated with life assurance and endowments as a life assurance company. They did operate a general insurance arm but it was usually brokers that used it.
    Or she could contact the Eagle Star and ask them. Although they have long since been taken over by Zurich.

I dont believe there was an Eagle Star salesforce. Their products were typically sold by IFAs and mortgage advisers and insurnce brokers prior to them coming under Zurich. So, Zurich would have no liability in that scenario.

Even if it was PPI, Eagle star was taken over ATER the GISC code came in 2001.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure