🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help to buy ISA

Options
Do I need to close a cash ISA before I can open a help to buy ISA? If so do I need to wait until the new tax year in April before I can open my help to buy isa?

Thanks

Comments

• bravotango
    Options
    Did you "Subscribe" (i.e. put any "new" money/funds) in this tax year (i.e. between April 2016 - March 2017)?

If no, you can open the HTB ISA now.

If yes, then you can only a new HTB ISA in April 2017.

Don't forget the rule that once you have opened a HTB ISA (i.e. you will be subscribing with new funds), you cannot be subscribing to another ISA in the same tax year.
    Save Save Save
    :)
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I strongly suggest reading the Help to Buy ISA guide here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5371330
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bravotango wrote: »
    Don't forget the rule that once you have opened a HTB ISA (i.e. you will be subscribing with new funds), you cannot be subscribing to another ISA in the same tax year.
    Over-simplistic. You can subscribe to a cash ISA (including HTB), an S&S ISA, an IF ISA, and (from April) a LISA all in the same year, with different (or the same) managers, with the annual total over all of them limited to the ISA allowance £15,240 now/£20,000 from April.

Additionally, some ISA managers eg Nationwide, allow you to split your cash ISA between their products, so you can have both HTB and ordinary cash ISA.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills