PPI Claim with unhelpful 2nd applicant

Options
I have had a claim confirmed from HSBC and had the offer, but it was in joint names I have contacted the ex's daughter who has passed on that I need some ID from him to make the claim and that by doing so he will be getting some money.
HSBC did advise that I can go further and he will relinquish his rights to claim but don't know where to start or where to get further help.
TIA

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HSBC did advise that I can go further and he will relinquish his rights to claim but don't know where to start or where to get further help.

HSBC offered an option if the ex is willing to give up their share. However, it is purely voluntary in their part.

You need to speak with your ex.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lisald
    Options
    He won't speak to me this is the problem I have in fact he doesn't even need to speak to me I only need a copy of his passport and driving license to agree the settlement from HSBC. The advise he can relinquish his share but if he won't speak to me how can I do this?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisald wrote: »
    He won't speak to me this is the problem I have in fact he doesn't even need to speak to me I only need a copy of his passport and driving license to agree the settlement from HSBC. The advise he can relinquish his share but if he won't speak to me how can I do this?

All you can do is keep contacting via a third party, it would help if you have a total value of the refund and explain he gets 50% for doing nothing, no-one else can help with this as a joint finance package needs a joint agreement.

Could he perhaps get a reference number or something from HSBC and just go into the branch and show his passport so you don't have to have a copy which he may have an issue with?
  • PinkPixie
    PinkPixie Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    If you can't get your ex to agree, then call HSBC. They should instead offer you 50% of the redress (your half) which you would be able to receive without your ex's agreement. If your ex wants his half they he'd have to put a claim in to the bank.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PinkPixie wrote: »
    If you can't get your ex to agree, then call HSBC. They should instead offer you 50% of the redress (your half) which you would be able to receive without your ex's agreement. If your ex wants his half they he'd have to put a claim in to the bank.

It's joint finance, both parties have to put a complaint in, the OP's ex might have been happy with the cover for all we know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure