Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Parking fine frustration

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
10 replies 960 views
Ken_HardyKen_Hardy Forumite
4 Posts
My wife parked in a VCS controlled car park in Newcastle, as her money kept falling out of the ticket machine she purchased a ticket from a nearby car park machine thinking both parks were the same operator. On returning to the car the attendant was issuing a ticket , he was not interested in any explanation, on receiving a demand for £30 I sent off an appeal to VCS on 24 October 2016 , we heard nothing until a demand for £100 arrived or £60 if paid within 14 days, I paid the £60 within 3 days and again emailed an appeal to VCS we have now received a demand for £40 as the company says we did not meet the stated deadline for payment, they have now given me a further deadline to settle with a payment of £40. I have emailed the company again but don't hold out much hope of them rescinding the charges. Any advice would be welcome.

Replies

• edited 31 December 2016 at 1:49PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2016 at 1:49PM
    you have been [email protected] on all fronts and should have come here , read the NEWBIES sticky thread and followed the advice in there (and not paid)

you are now at the stage where either you py up, or you dont

lets assume you dont , they have 6 years to take you to small claims court (MCOL)

ps:- its not a "fine" , its a speculative invoice , which you fell for

also , its an unregulated industry, and is grossly unfair on motorists too - that is private parking for you , plus the government is prevaricating on doing something about it and has done so for years
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid the £60 within 3 days

It sounds as if they might struggle in court. Refer them to Arkle v Pressdram.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken_Hardy wrote: »
    My wife parked in a VCS controlled car park in Newcastle, as her money kept falling out of the ticket machine she purchased a ticket from a nearby car park machine thinking both parks were the same operator.

On returning to the car the attendant was issuing a ticket , he was not interested in any explanation, on receiving a demand for £30 I sent off an appeal to VCS on 24 October 2016 , we heard nothing until a demand for £100 arrived or £60 if paid within 14 days,

How did a demand for just £30 then morph into £100?

I paid the £60 within 3 days and again emailed an appeal to VCS we have now received a demand for £40 as the company says we did not meet the stated deadline for payment, they have now given me a further deadline to settle with a payment of £40. I have emailed the company again but don't hold out much hope of them rescinding the charges. Any advice would be welcome.
    They have you on a mugs' list because you actually paid them some money. Eeek!! Why oh why did you pay them money? Stop engaging with them. You are showing yourself to be such a likely-to-get-his-wallet-out 'uninformed victim' that they are pressing you for more money.

You are now an informed person, no longer a victim. Ignore this rubbish. Come back if they try a daft claim for £40!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I have trawled through several forums related to parking ticket charges and VEHICLE CONTROL SERVICES appears time and time again on post from motorists who feel they are ripped off by this company, some claims by vcs are quite alarming, it's a case of pay up or else, no one should be intimidated in this way to .
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have trawled through several forums related to parking ticket charges and VEHICLE CONTROL SERVICES appears time and time again on post from motorists who feel they are ripped off by this company, some claims by vcs are quite alarming, it's a case of pay up or else, no one should be intimidated in this way to .

Yes welcome to the world of lying, cheating, threatening world of the PPC's unfortunately you have succumbed to this hook line and sinker though!

It's all about getting your cash by any means they can and they are all the same on that front, don't expect fair play, reason or an easy ride.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its been alarming us for years and we have complained to various places including the SRA , the ICO , our local MP, the prime minister herself , plus we are awaiting various government departments to act , like the DCLG and this MCOL investigation (campaign)

get involved and help , its not us you should complain to , its those people we have complained to because like you we are appalled at the extent of these [email protected]
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one part of Rip off Britain, where pay day loan companies want 4,000% interest, buy your gold companies offer one quarter of its value, and train fares are the highest in the world.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have trawled through several forums related to parking ticket charges and VEHICLE CONTROL SERVICES appears time and time again on post from motorists who feel they are ripped off by this company, some claims by vcs are quite alarming, it's a case of pay up or else, no one should be intimidated in this way to .
    Agreed, that's why we come here, to stop firms like this. Do not give them any more money, you've already sponsored their little game to the tune of £60.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks everyone for your input and support, I'll keep you posted.
  • The latest update, I emailed VCS 29 December after receiving their demand for a further £40 due to late payment, I pointed out that I had paid within 3 days so the demand was unjustified, I have now received a letter from them accepting that I am correct and they no longer want the £40 from me. This has just been another scam on their part, trying to intimidate me to give them more unjustified money. VCS are not to be trusted as a company, MOTORISTS BEWARE.
This discussion has been closed.