🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

FTSE 100 index reaches its highest level to date on the last day of trading for 2016

Options
worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 30 December 2016 at 3:53PM in Savings & investments
London's benchmark FTSE 100 index reached its highest level to date on the last day of trading for 2016.

The move upwards was tiny - 22.5 points or 0.32% - but it left the FTSE at an unprecedented 7,142.83.

BBC News

FTSE 100
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    7196 then crash below 7k. Will buy the next time it goes below 6000
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the mean time I'll continue investing and reinvesting. then when it crashes I'll continue investing and reinvesting.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 31 December 2016 at 7:35AM
    Options
    Looking back it's interesting to note that it's still only 192 points above the intraday peak of 6,950.60, 17 years ago, set on December 30, 1999, just before the dotcom bubble burst.

FTSE 100
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2016 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Looking back it's interesting that it's still only 192 points above the intraday peak of 6,950.6 of 17 years ago, that was set on December 30, 1999, just before the dotcom bubble burst.

Often quoted. However if dividends are taken into account, i.e. reinvested. Then you would have nearly doubled your money.

Since 1986 the FTSE 100 has been within 5% of it's peak for 38% of the time.
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    In the mean time I'll continue investing and reinvesting. then when it crashes I'll continue investing and reinvesting.

^^Is the right answer :beer:
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    "Unprecedented value of..."

And there was me - clearly woefully misinformed - thinking that was actually the whole point of investments.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Nellybee
    Nellybee Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    This will be buried by the BBC ,SKY, Guardian and the rest of the we hate Britain press and if it is mentioned there will be someone telling you a horror story to follow.Never real news only ifs buts and maybes:beer:
    Nice to save.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I desperately need those investment gains to pay for the loss in the value of the Stirling. I suppose many others will too.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 December 2016 at 7:04PM
    Options
    Nellybee wrote: »
    This will be buried by the BBC ,SKY, Guardian and the rest of the we hate Britain press and if it is mentioned there will be someone telling you a horror story to follow.Never real news only ifs buts and maybes:beer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38467258

And I am sure all of the other news outlets you mentioned will carry it as well. Just because a media outlet doesn't pander only to your personal particular world view does not make it biased.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nellybee wrote: »

Why do people keep lying on here about BBC coverage?

The OP contains a direct quote of and a link to the BBC article about this.

It was also broadcast on their TV news at lunchtime, and quite possibly later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport