Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Harrogate Disc Zone PCN

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
1 reply 617 views
One_Gun_SaluteOne_Gun_Salute Forumite
1 Post
Hello,

I received a PCN in Harrogate before Christmas and I'm about to fight it. I've been reading around and it seems I won't have to pay because someone has got a judgment which states that the disc zone in Scarborough in completely unenforceable. The guy who won the judgment said that Scarborough, Harrogate, Whitby and Knaresborough are all unenforceable because they all share the same signage. It ended up in the local rag and it seems the councils involved want to fight the judgment he got. He also said it will cost the councils millions.

His info is on the nyenquirer.uk website under councils lose parking war. I can't post the links because I'm a new user.

FYI, I received a PCN for "Parked in a disc parking place without clearly displaying a valid disc". I was parked in a residential disc zone on Swan Road near the Harrogate Borough Council offices, forgot the time and went an hour over the three hour limit.

Is his advice good? Should I appeal my PCN in the way the nyenquirer.uk website says? Does this appeal have legs?

Thank you for taking time to consider this.

Replies

• FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    51.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is council parking, then you are better off asking your questions on pepipoo.com as they are the police/council motoring experts.

We tend to concentrate on private parking issues here on MSE.

It might be worth doing some research about a case in York where a bridge was made a public vehicle no-go area a few years ago and hundreds if not thousands of motorists got penalty charges through the post. This however fell foul of some national regulation and had to be withdrawn, resulting in cashback for many people who had been caught by this council scam.

I can't remember the details but it was a bridge over the river not far from the railway station.

Edit.

Found it, 60 000 motorists caught.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11336666.Lendal_Bridge_fines_to_be_refunded/
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.