PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Is it normal to come with surveyor on Valuation date?

Hi guys,

I am a FTB so not having a lot of experience in buying a house. As the tittle said, I have booked a Homebuyer Report through Nationwide mortgage application. Is it normal to ask if I can come along when they do the survey? What is the normal practice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    kkoma wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am a FTB so not having a lot of experience in buying a house. As the tittle said, I have booked a Homebuyer Report through Nationwide mortgage application. Is it normal to ask if I can come along when they do the survey? What is the normal practice?

Thanks.
    It isn't usual to accompany the surveyor, but you may be able to speak to him/her later by 'phone to clear up any queries.

Surveyor's reports may be both annoyingly tentative and alarming, erring on the pessimistic side to avoid come-back from purchasers later. It's therefore a good idea to read carefully, note anything puzzling and seek clarification. Often a surveyor will be less guarded when reporting verbally, and may offer some reassurance.

In the final analysis, no one can be 100% sure of all the possible issues a house might hide from a short non-invasive inspection.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As usual, Davesnave has got there first with great advice.

We've done 8 or so survey's so far, only 2 have come back with issues issues which stopped us buying the property, but they all read quite poorly, in that there were lots of 'issues, though in reality they weren't actually issues (e.g. the electrics should be tested- they ALL say that).

Of those 8 surveys I've accompanied them on 1.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,287
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kkoma wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks.

Buyers don't normally accompany surveyors.

The visit will probably last about 2 hours, and the surveyor will be going around checking things on his/her list.

You might feel a bit like a 'spare part'. I doubt the surveyor would have time to show and explain everything he/she is checking.

However, the surveyor might be willing to spend 10 minutes or so at the end with you at the end, to give you verbal feedback and show you any problems etc.

You can phone them and ask.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,686
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    "Handy-Holdy" stuff is not best achieved by using lender surveyors for your optional extended inspection/report.

Best advice is let the lender do what it wants for its basic mortgage report and valuation and you contract your own surveyor for the rest.

It may cost £100 more overall, but you're spending in the £00k here.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you have particular concerns or questions, then discuss these first with the surveyor. eg
    * thinking of extending/knocking through a wall - is it a load-bearing/structural wall?
    * worried about the existing extension - is it structurally sound/leaking/whatever

Thi is much easier if you instruct the surveyor yourself. Harder if you use the mortgage lenders surveyor.

Then speak to him again after he's done the survey.

But following him round. breathing down his neck, and bothering him with questions as he tries to do his job (with another one to do straight afterwards, before lunch)?

No.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport