🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Saving account for child - don't wish it to convert (sorry, new to all this)

Options
I have a romantic idea to sort of secretly save money for my two currently ver little children. I don't want the rest of the family to know, particularly. I'd quite like to surprise them when they are older and want to (for example) buy an instrument or go on a school trip we couldn't ordinarily afford.

Anyway I'm new to saving. Growing up, I only had a bank account, no ISAs etc.

So my questions. I've got two, really.

1) So when I'm browsing and looking at the "young saver" accounts - I'm surprised to see that they all seem to convert to a much lower rate of interest after a year. What's all that about??

2) If I want to keep the paperwork arriving on the mat to a minimum, and to be able to pay in in cash, what's my best option?

many thanks

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try children's bonds frm NS&I. You buy them in multiples of £25 and the interest is fixed for 5 years, and you can then roll them over until the child is 18 (or not). If you buy them at intervals, they mature similarly.
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We started off years ago with Nationwide and were drip feeding accounts.
    Now we have been with Halifax for nearly 10yrs.
    There Junior ISA is 3% not sure if they still offer a linked ISA with a bonus.%
    We also have regular savers at 4% on the anniversary of the account it is transferred into the ISA and another regular saver opened.

Now easier as youngest had a child trust fund and wasn't eligible for the JNR ISA but they have now changed the rules.

JNR ISA - no withdrawals till 18

I have four kids the older 2 are 21 & 18 the money I saved for them gave to them at 18 and they used it towards uni.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income