I think I have my neighbour's meter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
11 replies 1.1K views
JmooJmoo Forumite
193 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
So if you followed the saga over the last two weeks, I had an electricity meter which appeared to be recording no electricity. It said "no load" and ReD on it. Presumably it had been tampered with. SSE have since been out and put a new meter on, which is now recording electricity.

However I'm still not convinced that's the end of my problems. When the engineer came out, he noted that the switch fuse didn't seem to connect up to the meter in question. When I asked why after he'd installed the new meter there wasn't any sign of the numbers increasing, he said it was because I had nothing running, and said he was running away before I found any problems.

I stayed in that day and found that the meter still wasn't moving. It wasn't until around 5pm that evening the numbers started to increase. When I followed the fuse switch wires to a meter, it seemed a neighbour's meter was the one it was wired up to. Whenever I turn on an oven and kettle it's this neighbour's meter where the lights flash vigorously. And while the other meter is now increasing, it's at completely the wrong times compared to my electricity consumption (late at night or weekends when I'm either not there or fast asleep).

SSE seem confused and adamant that this is my meter. They said if the engineer had tried to install a meter a neighbouring property and switched off the wrong fuse he'd have had a nasty shock. However switching off the fuse switch seems to cut off the flashing lights on this other meter. It's possible it's cutting off action on "my" meter too, but given there's little activity during the day I can't really work this out.

This is my second property this year where I've had such issues. Is it just a case of getting them swapped on the system or is there a bigger problem here?

Replies

• JC_DerbyJC_Derby Forumite
    788 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    why don't you ask EDF to come and take a look..? as in your DNO/REC not your supplier, who will just send a meter reader/op who may be good or may be rubbish.

As you are talking about a switch fuse are your meters someway from your properties?
  • JmooJmoo Forumite
    193 Posts
    Yes, it didn't sound like they were planning to be particularly helpful.

All of the meters (all four) are under the stairs so not within my actual flat.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    SSE or a meter reader cannot be sure of anything. How can they ? Only the kettle test will reveal it..switch the kettle on and off a couple of times and watch the red flashing light speed up and slow down.. That is your meter....end of ..! then give SSE the serial number to your meter and mark the meter with your flat number in bold numbers.
  • JmooJmoo Forumite
    193 Posts
    Well that's all very well, but someone else is claiming that meter!
  • edited 28 November 2016 at 11:45PM
    SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016 at 11:45PM
    Let them claim it ! thats their problem. If the kettle going on and off a couple of times reveals it as yours then thats the end of it.Tell them to do the same thing. if they don t believe you.I see a lot of places like yours and many never get sorted because the tenants move through all the time. It all starts with some builder chappie labeling the plot numbers to the meters which dont match the meters actual flat numbers. Not sure whats gone off with yours but the kettle does nt lie !
    If by any chance that their flat is also wired up to that meter than an electrician has to sort it all out.Suppliers or meter readers are not involved in this.these are known as "crossed meters "
  • JmooJmoo Forumite
    193 Posts
    Fair point. It does sound as though the other meter is mine, and now that a new meter has been installed where I thought was mine, that's now recording electricity too. So I suspect as far as I'm concerned that's the job done.

After the last issue at my last flat where I was paying for two people, and that tenant scarpered without paying a penny when he was due to, I think I have to think of myself here :)
  • JmooJmoo Forumite
    193 Posts
    SSE seem to think there could be one fuse switch controlling two flats, is that plausible?
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jmoo wrote: »
    SSE seem to think there could be one fuse switch controlling two flats, is that plausible?

On(cheap) conversions of houses to flats, it is not unknown for a 'master' switch or a Consumer unit(fuse box) for two flats to be located in a single location.
  • JmooJmoo Forumite
    193 Posts
    I assume other than someone messing with the electrics that's unlikely to cause any problems for me? Both meters seem to be recording properly now, so I can't see a financial implication.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The financial implication is that you are paying for your neighbour's use and he for yours. You were told to check the other meters for movement in your original thread so what is happening comes as no surprise to those who posted back then.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals