OS Daily Friday 25 November

13»

Replies

• CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cafekate I agree with Gers, is your DH in a union? Or can you check the situation with ACAS? They might be doing something wrong and illegal and counting on your DH being so fed up that he won't challenge them. I took a BIG employer (a council) to industrial tribunal once and eventually they settled, I represented myself. Settlement was a pittance and I could have challenged it, ACAS were very helpful, but for me it was more the principle, I DID want nothing more to do with that horrible place! Best wishes.

Also, thank you for validating my fears about the shard. I am sure that there are plenty of people that feel like this! To be fair, DH's employers and colleagues are a bunch of engineers and architects and used to heights, they even have their office on the top of a skyscraper, and DH would not have minded at all. He would have minded more about the cream tea (stodge).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good evening chums ,well we arrived on the Island and it looks like its going to be a nice, if nippy day tomorrow.The flat we are staying in at Cowes has lots of room, and is set on around two floors.

At the moment the boys and DGS Bens g/f are playing monopoly and DD and her OH have nipped down to get some milk and vino.to have with out rare and enjoyable fish @ chips. The journey down was OK until we got to just past J9 on the M25 then it crawled for about 40 minutes and we managed to get off at J.10 and came down the A3 instead. Made the boat Ok though, and are settled in OK.

Re the Shard I am not keen on high places either and it would not appeal to me.But I guess some folk like it.

My DGS Danny who is getting married on Christmas Eve is spending his wedding night at the Shard as a present from my eldest DD and her OH. apparently the wedding suite come complete with butler !!! what he would need a butler for on his wedding night I can't imagine :):):)

Monnagran I agree its many a long year since you saw dusters being shaken out of the windows :):):)

Right, DD is back with the vino so we are going to have a nice evening relaxing

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • SayschezzaSayschezza Forumite
    657 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My ds informed me that the loo in the shard is in a corner with and against glass on 2 sides.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to get weighed yesterday morning and found I had lost three and a half pounds and was slimmer of the week. Lugged home a huge bag of fruit, gave some to a dd and had about six portions of fruit for breakfast.

Spent most of the day sorting out laundry and wrapping presents as well as deciding what goes into which stocking as a delivery of cosmetics and toiletries arrived this afternoon.

Nice not to have to rush around and have a quiet day for a change as I want to pop to Leeds tomorrow to get something for youngest's birthday in January and go to York on Sunday to see older dd.

Positives to all the poorlies and hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • snoozersnoozer Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caterina, DH was taken up the Shard by DD, it was a freebie thankfully, he was very underwhelmed. Apparently they had screens showing the view below but when he looked out it was different, the screen must have been playing a recording. He was also not impressedthat they served the champagne in plastic glasses.
  • edited 25 November 2016 at 9:48PM
    CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016 at 9:48PM
    Bless you all, the voices of reason, for your comments about the stoopid shard make me feel utterly normal in not liking it and not wanting to waste any time in it! That's why I love it here, reality check for common sense!

Edited to wish JackieO and her family a lovely break, I adore the IoW, at one point DH and I were thinking of moving there in retirement.
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't do heights too well either, caterina, the ground sucks and I feel panicky. So I wouldn't fancy that very much.

I'm in bed, mice and warm.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    CATERINA I have just finished a book by Erica James, The Dandelion Years, a lovely fictional story about a romance at Bletchley Park during the war. It made me fancy a visit to look up all the places mentioned. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ancientofdays yeh, that's the feeling, almost like I will jump agains my own will. Panic. Don't want to be put through uncomfortable feelings for fun!

TA I will look that book up, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals