Lively 11 year old needs pal!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
5 replies 1.1K views
maggiesoupmaggiesoup Forumite
676 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Wonder if any of you lovely people out there can help. I'm a single parent with an active 11 year old boy. I've decided not to go down the 2weeks in Spain around a pool route but to stay at home (Edinburgh) and go on days out. I've looked at the Scotland site and either done most of the activities in and around Edinburgh, but can anyone come up with any other ideas of days out further afield ? He's just back from school camp and fancies gorge walking (!) horse riding (!) or anything lively but something I, as a not so lively mum, can participate in. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• scottyscotty Forumite
    159 Posts
    How about skiing or boarding lessons at Hillend?

Go-kart racing will go down a treat with an 11 year old (and you have a chance of keeping up with him!)
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a week at one of the football schools that are usually run through the summer, I know there used to be one at Heriot Watt. Perhaps the SRU do something at Murrayfield?

Or looking at the school summer clubs where they have daily activites that you can chop and change or do a weekly course in something like drama or golf with swimming too. My daughter used to go to the one at Balerno School, doesn't cost a lot for the in school activities but a bit more when they went outwith the school.

Then you could go and treat yourself to the odd day of pampering ;)

Up near Dundee there is Teen Ranch where he could go for a residential week which culminates in a BBQ and horse gymkhana for parents and visitors. This is a Christian organisation but in a quiet way if you understand what I mean.
  • fluffynitfluffynit Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about paintballing (can't remember what it's called, Bedlam??) I think it is just off the A800 on the way to the Forth Road Bridge (from Edi)

Or there is Laser Quest in town?

fluffynit
  • albaladalbalad Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    The indoor climbing centre at Ratho is great fun , and in the summer usually they run courses for kids

Will see if i can find a www. for you
    here it is
    "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
    happy travels !!
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    albalad
  • PrudentPrudent Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have booked my daughter into teen ranch for a week this summer as she loves horse riding. Care for the family (which is also a Christian organisation)do activity breaks for single parents. They have one near Killin in July. It is excellent value for money as it works out at around £200 for the two of you which is inclusive of accomodation, food, activities and trips. Making sure mum gets a break and a bit of TLC is one of the aims of the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals