Unemployment PPI Protection

Options
Some years ago my husband took out unemployment PPI protection when he got a mortgage via NatWest. Natwest have since sold that policy to Aviva. Who should he send a PPI complaint to NatWest or Aviva?

My husband is a civil servant and has paid off his mortgage without ever using the policy.

Thanks

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Some years ago my husband took out unemployment PPI protection when he got a mortgage via NatWest. Natwest have since sold that policy to Aviva. Who should he send a PPI complaint to NatWest or Aviva?...

PPI policies are not tradable assets. Nat West likely sold your husband an Aviva policy. If you have a complaint regarding the sale of the policy it should be addressed to Nat West.

... My husband is a civil servant and has paid off his mortgage without ever using the policy....

Neither of those points seem particularly relevant.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NatWest or Aviva?
    Any mis-selling complaint must go to the original seller of the policy, so it's NatWest
    My husband is a civil servant
    Which doesn't make him immune to unemployment, of course.
    and has paid off his mortgage without ever using the policy.
    That's like asking for a refund on life insurance because you have not died, home insurance because you haven't been burgled or car insurance because you haven't had an accident! You are not entitled to a refund of insurance simply because you haven't suffered a claimable event!

If you want to make a successful mis-selling complaint, you need to show that the insurance was not suitable for you in some way and that you were sold it anyhow.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband is a civil servant and has paid off his mortgage without ever using the policy.

Most civil service employees get upto 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay. When it comes to mortgage PPI, the FOS has been rejecting complaints where there has been 12 months sick pay. So, that is not a strong complaint reason. Redundancy is quite possible with civil service. So, there does appear to be a financial need.

Plus, not claiming on a policy is not a complaint reason. Insurance is there to cover just in case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure