🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

£5,000 Dividend Allowance

Options
Hello, Could anyone tell me if the new £5,000 tax free dividend allowance covers income from funds held outside an ISA.
I have looked extensively but cannot find an authoritative source to confirm this.

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask yourself why would you need a dividend tax allowance within an ISA which is free from dividend tax
  • kevin52
    kevin52 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    That's clear enough, thanks.
  • kevin52
    kevin52 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I did ask myself why not use an ISA and the answer i got was it was full.
  • aspiration_2
    Options
    Does this mean that SS ISA is useful only if one has dividend income in excess of £5000?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    aspiration wrote: »
    Does this mean that SS ISA is useful only if one has dividend income in excess of £5000?

No it doesn't.

S&S ISA also means any gains are free of CGT.

And there is no need to keep any record of dividends or purchases/disposals for tax purposes.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aspiration wrote: »

No, it's also free of capital gains tax, to get 5k in dividends you might have 150k in funds or shares, after a few years you might well be liable if cashing in with gains above 11k or so.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Two other reasons for using an S&S ISA:
    1) Capital Gains Tax, though this is unlikely to be a concern for most people
    2) No need to keep transaction records for 7 years in case HMRC ask for them.

Since an S&S ISA doesnt normally cost any extra (2) is a good enough reason.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Also worth noting that if you hold bonds, or anything that pays interest rather than dividends, these are free from income tax
  • taylornj
    taylornj Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As well as bonds. If you hold REIT's these are treated as income even if called a Dividend, and S&S ISA providers can get these paid gross without tax deducted. Otherwise these are paid after tax @ 20%, any tax deduced can be reclaimed by tax payers in the zero rate band, higher rate tax payers would pay 40%, 45% and need to pay the difference.

British Land and Land Securities are examples of REIT's.

http://www.britishland.com/investors/dividends/reits-dividends-and-uk-tax

Now the question is does the £5,000 dividend allowance include REIT's or not, so the other reason for S&S ISA, you don't need to know the details of complex tax treatment for anything inside the S&S ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport