Two scenarios: which accounts?

Options
I have recently become an uncle, and am about to become a dad. :)

I need some advice on an idea I have - I apologise in advance if my understanding of things is wrong... here goes...

When I was young, my gran told me a story of how she put £100ish in a bank account for me that I was never allowed to touch, until I was 18. Being 5, I forgot all about it until I was 19 and desperately needed money to pay my flat for uni - and then found an account with little over £1000 in it.

I like the idea of doing this for my nephew - and eventually, for my daughter - but am not sure what I'm looking for, exactly. I've broken it down below:

- For Nephew
One deposit (£50-100), which should then sit for a number of years accruing interest until 18.

- For Daughter
One or multiple deposits (initial £50, then potentially small amounts throughout the year?), which should sit accruing interest until 18.

What accounts should I look at, and how much money will they be able to withdraw at age 18?

Thanks!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 24 September 2016 at 8:41AM
    Options
    This is a question probably better asked on the Savings board (nearer the top).
    But are you sure you're remembering correctly?
    £100 invested for 19 years, even at 10℅ wouldn't reach £1000.
  • chrestomanci
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Thus us a question probably better asked on the Savings board (nearer the top).
    But are you sure you're reming correctly?

I'll re-post there, thanks.

Maybe she started out with a bit more? I can't remember and don't have the documentation! It's not so much the jump of money, but the idea of the investment that I like.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But are you sure you're reming correctly?

Unless gran added to the original investment over the years
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • chrestomanci
    Options
    Unless gran added to the original investment over the years

I'm pretty sure it was a once-off. Maybe it was more than £100!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might've done - it depends which 19 years.

Interest rates were high in, say, the mid-late 90s. Compound interest, in the right account, could be that.

Also, the OP could've rounded up the £1k, it might've been £894.56, which is as near as d4mmit for a forum post.
  • chrestomanci
    Options
    It might've done - it depends which 19 years.

Interest rates were high in, say, the mid-late 90s. Compound interest, in the right account, could be that.

Also, the OP could've rounded up the £1k, it might've been £894.56, which is as near as d4mmit for a forum post.

That's exactly when it was - from 1987 until 2006 :) I guess there's nothing comparable nowadays? Everything I see is high rates for 12 months only, or requires constant deposits - not quite the 'put money aside and forget about it' thing I've been dreaming about!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also, i don't think you're able to open an account as an Uncle (or Aunt), which is a shame as we have a few nieces / nephews.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Also, i don't think you're able to open an account as an Uncle (or Aunt), which is a shame as we have a few nieces / nephews.
    Anyone can open an account for a child if they have a copy of the birth certificate.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Look into opening a Junior I.S.A for each of them.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder how much you'd need to deposit now to be the equivalent of £100 in 1987?

Unfortunately nowadays accounts are treated as dormant if untouched after a while and then earn little if any interest.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport