Where do I put inheritance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
1 reply 957 views
erosseross Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hey,

I've been reading quite a bit through MSE's site and forum but I'm still really stuck with what to do and was hoping to get some advice.
I am due to inherit some money, between 20,000-30,000 which I want to put towards a deposit on my first home. I have already set up a help-to-buy ISA so I can hope to get on the ladder, but I'm aware that with this, I cannot open another ISA.

I'm due to get the inheritance quite soon, but I'm not read to use it straight away. I thought about putting the money in Premium Bonds, but MSE doesn't seem to think that's a great idea. The article I read either said an ISA is better (but I can't do that as I have one) OR a TSB account, but TSB only gets interest on up to 2,000

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will you be ready to buy a house?
    If you are thinking less than 5 years and don't want to take any risk with the money, then simply get the account with the highest rate you can find. That might be a fixed rate if you are willing to tie it up.
    Unfortunately rates are low, but if you want access and don't want to take risks then it's just a case of the best rates you can find, there are plenty of best buy tables on this and other websites to help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals