Rhubarb - lift and move into more sun?

edited 22 May 2017 at 1:46PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 replies 785 views
ampersandampersand Forumite
9.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 22 May 2017 at 1:46PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 garden ?s tonight and all help welcomed :-)

I asked about division and replanting on this forum a few years back.

All went well - 7 new clumps have produced lovely rhubarb, planted out in bare ground between a walnut tree and a eucalyptus, tall north-facing wooden fence behind. Since last year notably, both trees, which I started from nuts about 10 years back, have gone mad.

I've had to remove a lower branch or two from the walnut, suddenly 14' tall. The gum tree has soared past 20'. Trunk girths are about 15'' and 20'' respectively. A now departed neighbour dispatched a big, old, massy forsythia adjacent to these 2-3 years ago and I attribute much of the growth to this removal of a rival.

Reading that rhubarb wants full sun, which it no longer has under my trees' foliage, should I risk another move? If so, when? Stalk are in recovery mode atm, after my 6wks away May-July. Everything suffered, my raspberries especially, but theyre recovering well now, new 10-12' arcing stems, heavily fruited.

Waitrose coffee grounds have been applied liberally partout.
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Replies

• TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhubarb generally prefers partial, but not deep shade. Best lifted/divided/replanted in late autumn/early winter when its dormant. I was taught to leave a crown on the surface to freeze before re-planting but I don't know if this works as I've never really tried it out. However, a period of frost is necessary for rhubarb to regenerate well I believe.
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In that case, I'll leave it where it is and keep on with the tlc catch-up.

Many thanks TG.
    #
    Any help on my other ? on honeysuckle?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides