Sodden flower bed needs cheering up..

could someone advise me on some evergreen shrubs, which don't grow too high-maybe 2-3 feet that will grow in a wet, (very wet )west facing flower bed PLEASE?
I have tried all sorts of flowers in the past, most don't grow, and those that do don't seem to grow well, as though the roots just stay their original size. It is quite heavy soil, last year i mixed in some rotted manure on someones advise.
it looks so depressing! please help :)

Replies

• lisa110rrylisa110rry Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Is there room perhaps for a beech sapling? I have a boggy area in which I have mostly ferns and hostas, with a beech for height and for the wonderful luminous white peeling bark. I believe hydrangeas can also take quite a bit of dampness.

Is one of your rainwater drains blocked? When I got mine "done" it made a huge difference to said wet bit.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Search for 'pond margin' plants and you should be fine. Astilbe, Iris, Lobelia cardinalis to name but a few would all thrive in that sort of area. If you want shrubs look for dwarf weeping willow (mini grafted ones - the full sized ones are enormous!) I'm struggling with shrubs that like wet feet but a lot of the more architectural grasses and sedges like Carex and Acorus will give winter interest and some are evergreen.

It sounds like drainage you need so adding horticultural grit and sand would be more useful than manure which holds water rather than drains it.
  • edited 26 August 2016 at 6:47PM
    I_have_spokenI_have_spoken
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 August 2016 at 6:47PM
    Viburnum, mahonia 'charity', yew and Irish yew, many hebes, thuja, eucalyptus gunnii, firethorn, some bamboo. Also Acorus gramineus, New Zealand hair sedge, many spurge like Pachysandra terminalis

For flowers geums (water avens) can take wet along with sun.
  • TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...some bamboo...

Some great suggestions from I have Spoken but tread carefully with the bamboo and stick to the 'clump' rather than 'running' varieties.
  • curlytop12curlytop12 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    thanks so much- i live in hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides