We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Plant ID please

I run our village fete plant stall every year and last year someone donated this unlabelled shrub (I don't know who it was, people sometimes drop stuff off in our drive or bring plants on the morning of the fete, and of course everyone is too busy to keep track).

I hang on to the unsold plants and try to encourage them to look their best for the next year, and I hoped this plant would flower so I could make an easy identification. It didn't oblige :mad:

Can anyone help, please? It has small leaves and thorns on the stem (it's not a sloe, which is what google suggests... )

http://oi68.tinypic.com/vid1rt.jpg
http://oi64.tinypic.com/k3tc7d.jpg

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    One of the pyracantha family, maybe..?
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere Posts: 752 Forumite
    Hmmm... that certainly looks possible. Thanks!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Looks like Chaenomeles speciosa, or similar, to me.

I have one: seed raised, doesn't flower much, bit of a waste of space really!
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere Posts: 752 Forumite
    **Sighs**

Yup, that looks like a possible too. Right... it's going back in the "save for next year" corner because no-one wants a mystery plant unless it's really exotic-looking.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Looks like Chaenomeles speciosa, or similar, to me.

I have one: seed raised, doesn't flower much, bit of a waste of space really!

I agree with the above:)
    NOV Tesco CC .£3450...0% til JAN2021.
    HBCARD: £1193 holiday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills