parking fine abroad

Hello,
We've been abroad recently and had a parking fine. I think that was unfair as there were no signs to indicate that parking was not allowed in that place.

I went to the local council and made a written challenge against it but they didn't even bother to reply. I've made another one through the email but still no response.

I've got clear evidence (I took photos) that there wasn't any sign on that street and also, out of 4 cars (none of them had any resident parking on the screen), I was the only one ending up with a ticket. I think they've seen the rented car signs and just gave it a go! As a tourist, we can get some money out of his pocket !!!

My question is ... If I cancel my credit card I used to book the car with, will they still be able to take the payment? When I rented the car, I've done it online and they took my credit card details. Eventually, the fine will go to the rental company and I'd guess they can take the payment even after 2 months (that's how long since the incident was).

I'd rather cancel my card, Tesco will give me a new one (with a new card number, obviously) and then the old one won't be valid anymore should the rental company wants to take any money from it.

THANKS

Replies

• bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charges against an expired card may still transfer to a new card.

Which country?
  • kokolino23kokolino23 Forumite
    143 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Jerusalem - Israel
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually, the fine will go to the rental company and I'd guess they can take the payment even after 2 months

Location/country is irrelevant. What does it say about [statutory] fines on the car hire paperwork you signed?
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kokolino23 wrote: »
    Jerusalem - Israel

Watch it, don't pay and Mossad are likely to call a hit in on you.:D

Are you intending to return to the so-called Jewish state?
  • kokolino23kokolino23 Forumite
    143 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have no intention to go back in the forseen future. At least 5 years, maybe even more.
    The hire paperwork states to pay the fine myself or they will charge me extra. There are more than 2 months since then and I struggle to get a response from Jerusalem council. They're just ignoring my emails and I don't even know how can I pay as their site for payments is in Hebrew. I did provide them clear evidence (photos) with the street as no marking were there to state the parking rules. They've got it somewhere else but nothing on that street. Also, out of 4 cars, I was the only one with a fine (£50 !!!).
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kokolino23 wrote: »
    I have no intention to go back in the forseen future. At least 5 years, maybe even more.
    The hire paperwork states to pay the fine myself or they will charge me extra. There are more than 2 months since then and I struggle to get a response from Jerusalem council. They're just ignoring my emails and I don't even know how can I pay as their site for payments is in Hebrew. I did provide them clear evidence (photos) with the street as no marking were there to state the parking rules. They've got it somewhere else but nothing on that street. Also, out of 4 cars, I was the only one with a fine (£50 !!!).

At the end of the day, we cannot tell you any more.
    Maybe the council has decided its not worth going further.
    Who knows, if you report your card lost or you cancel it anything up to the date you did that, you could still be charged.
    All you can do is wait now
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS