Help with inheritance

Options
Hi all,

I have inherited some money around £10k and I'm really not sure where to put it. I only have a loan which is manageable so I don't want to pay that off. I have also ear marked this money for something but I'm not entirely sure when I will require it. So I don't want to lock it away for years either.

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?

Thanks

Comments

• kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    Liz77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have inherited some money around £10k and I'm really not sure where to put it. I only have a loan which is manageable so I don't want to pay that off. I have also ear marked this money for something but I'm not entirely sure when I will require it. So I don't want to lock it away for years either.

Thanks

Here you are: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
    What happens if you push this button?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Liz77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Your loan may be manageable, but if the interest you are paying on it is higher than the interest you could get on your £10k, then it would make (financial) sense to pay off the loan.

You could then save the 'repayments' in one of the high interest current accounts or regular savers.
  • Liz77
    Liz77 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. The problem is if I pay off my loan and I need the money in 6 months or so I then won't have it as it will take a few years to get back up to that amount.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could consider opening a Nationwide Flexdirect account, a TSB Plus account, and a couple of Tesco current accounts.

You would then deposit £2500 in NW, £2000 in TSB (go paperless), and £2750 in each of the Tesco accounts.

You would set up a standing order for the same day each month to send £1000 from TSB to NW and from NW to TSB.

You would move the monthly interest accruing on TSB and NW into Tesco.

After a year, the 5% on NW ends so you would reconsider your options then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure