edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10 replies 2.6K views
ampersandampersand Forumite
9.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
As above - advice please.

The fig, a cutting from friend's big established tree, has taken off well against front brick wall, in day-long sun [if and when].

If ex-waitrose coffee grounds are not for it, suggestions please?

Oak, Walnut, Eucalyptus, Elderberry, various fruit trees, soft fruit canes are other candidates.
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Replies

• DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A fig will just grow. Stick it in rubble and feed it a teaspoon of soil, and it will be happy. They positively thrive on restriction and deprivation - it's the way to ensure they fruit. I have shoved three in beside my farm barn, in an area that was used to park lorries for years. They are roaring up the barn!

Coffee grounds will add nutrients for any plant - particularly nitrogen, which promotes greeny growth. So, of the plants you list, I'd use them on the soft fruit. One other use, snails hate coffee grounds, so put them around plants you want to keep the slimey s0ds off!
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, thankyou DD.
    Was out with screwdriver on early killer spree of gross, huge, fat, vile red slugs
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=red+slugs&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD7uanxY7OAhXFCsAKHYZYBLkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1024&bih=581

- whose thickly viscous slime is more yuk than the yukkiest yukyuk yet known. Even when speared they take days to die - or so it seems. I see their tracks the moment I open back door every day, then track them to their doom.

Cathartic excellence, but there are always more, so coffee grounds for them will do well, while also being through rasp.canes, carpeted under with strawberries.

Yes, I know figs will just grow. Have plonked them in constrained rubble on purpose in times past. That was via old Dr Hessayon, as I recall. Figs are not the only treat 'em meanies that prosper.

Have just applied cpr to several rhubarb crowns. Would they be suitable recipients?
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure - but they are also as tough as old boots...

Got any pot plants... er... house plants, or plants in garden pots? They are great on those!
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Sure - but they are also as tough as old boots...

Got any pot plants... er... house plants, or plants in garden pots? They are great on those!
    Quick question please: I've just discovered an old, opened canister of coffee. (Gone back to instant:o) Could I sprinkle it on to the many container plants I have or maybe mix it into my compost bin? Thanks in advance :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could... but I wouldn't recommend it for the pot plants.... but don't have that good a reason...

Used coffee has been "washed" in boiling water, so will be far less strong than fresh, unused. I just don't know what it would do to the roots in the raw, concentrated state. Frankly, I wouldn't.

You certainly can bung it in the compost bin; no reason why not. It will add nutrients and biomass, and will be harmless when mixed with that volume.

Or use it up, and enjoy a wonderful mug of real coffee! :D
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO RED SLUG SLITHERS ce matin:-).
    So, w8r0s coffee grounds = ¡No pasar!n!
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    You could... but I wouldn't recommend it for the pot plants.... but don't have that good a reason...

Used coffee has been "washed" in boiling water, so will be far less strong than fresh, unused. I just don't know what it would do to the roots in the raw, concentrated state. Frankly, I wouldn't.

You certainly can bung it in the compost bin; no reason why not. It will add nutrients and biomass, and will be harmless when mixed with that volume.

Or use it up, and enjoy a wonderful mug of real coffee! :D

Thanks DaftyDuck I'll add it to the compost then, maybe a spoonful at a time so the worms can enjoy it! (Married to a coffeeholic who insists on fresh coffee, the can I bought for visitors last year just wouldn't be entertained by him!) I'm beyond hope apparently as I prefer Nescafe ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Coffee grounds make e perfect medium for diy mushroom growing. There's a company in Exeter which collects from all the local cafes for just this reason. You can get starter kits online if you fancy a go.
  • edited 5 January 2017 at 8:15PM
    ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2017 at 8:15PM
    I was surprised to see my old ? with new activity, Blackbird.

Welcome to mse:-)

I have a mushroom kit in fridge; been there for about 3 centuries, so might give it a whirl. Nothing lost, space gained, maybe champignons. On verra.
    Thanks for tip.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals