hydrangers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 1.3K views
JEN22JEN22 Forumite
612 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I cut the dead flowers off my hydrangers last autumn. This year they haven't flowered

When do you cut the heads off?

is this the reason they haven't flowered?

Replies

• TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Generally you leave them on until the late spring - they help to protect the young shoots below from frost and winter wet/cold.

If there is healthy leaf growth , they should be fine and might flower late, or next year for you.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JEN22 wrote: »
    I cut the dead flowers off my hydrangers last autumn. This year they haven't flowered

is this the reason they haven't flowered?

I usually leave the flowers on over the winter as well - they can look lovely when there is frost on them or we have heavy dews - but just cutting in the autumn wouldn't be a problem unless the flower buds were damaged in the Spring by frost or cold winds or you cut back too far along the stems and removed the following year's flower buds.

I like to take out a third of the woody stems each Spring when I'm dead-heading - it keeps the plants young and vigorous.
  • JEN22JEN22 Forumite
    612 Posts
    thanks very much

I hope they flower next year
  • ERICS_MUMERICS_MUM Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try feeding them with a tomato or Rose food, but might be too late for this year. It would 'beef' them up for next year though.
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another who leaves the dead heads on my hydrangeas until Spring.

I don't think because you cut yours off in the Autumn has necessarily caused the lack of flower buds this year - I know several people who do the same.

As others have said if the growth and leaves are healthy, you might even get some small flowers this year, and hopefully, it will be back to 'normal' next year.

You could try a few cuttings from them. They root easily (having said that, I don't know about the climbing varieties) Youtube has step-by-step guides or other info here...> http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/container/hydrangea/index.html

You'll have to remember to update this thread ;)
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it doens't make a difference when you cut the dead heads off so don't worry about that.

I like to cut them to the ground every 2 years as it freshens the plant right up and stops all that clutter of dust, dead stems, etc that gathers. They won't usually flower the first season after this but they will still be lovely looking fresh green leafy plants.
  • JEN22JEN22 Forumite
    612 Posts
    Cheers guys xx
  • freezspiritfreezspirit Forumite
    994 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    @ glasgowdan, How far to the ground do you cut them and when in the year? I've got one that I've not touched for a couple of years and its overgrown its location.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ glasgowdan, How far to the ground do you cut them and when in the year? I've got one that I've not touched for a couple of years and its overgrown its location.

Any time of year, they won't die. I cut them right down, to soil height, or maybe an inch above.

It does work best when you do it between November-February though. You'll end up with a nice new fresh leafy plant with no detritus and brown stems. Quite nice really.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals