£1000 to invest?

Options
Hi Folks,

Newly registered but long time user of the site. I've decided recently to look at setting up a portfolio to spread out some of my income. Im new to Investing/Trading etc. so would appreciate some advice.

To test the waters I've an initial £1000, what would you recommendations be?.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,676 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on your attitude to risk but something like the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 fund but that's long term investment not trading.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • PaulW6899
    Options
    Thanks Jim, would have to google this, would you recommend?.

Paul
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nobody on here can give advice as such (in the defined term sense of the word) and even recommendations are meaningless without more information, not just attitude to risk but overall financial circumstances, objectives, etc (e.g. do you have enough money in readily-accessible cash form before embarking on investing, would it be better in a pension or S&S ISA wrapper, what are your timescales, ...)
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not try P2P?

I dont know anything about stock, shares, funds or anything else, so I can't give a comparison between them.

With P2P, you can do it all your self, some are free to use, some charge fee's on your interest, some even do all the work do you can invest and forget. If you need your cash back, in some you can sell your loan parts and get your cash back.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dan83 wrote: »
    Why not try P2P?

I dont know anything about stock, shares, funds or anything else, so I can't give a comparison between them.

With P2P, you can do it all your self, some are free to use, some charge fee's on your interest, some even do all the work do you can invest and forget. If you need your cash back, in some you can sell your loan parts and get your cash back.

...and some default.
  • gezzerboy
    gezzerboy Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I think all the above have valuable input. For me you need to decide on following

Your willingness to take Risk ?
    Access To your Money ?
    Short or Long term investment ?

once you decide all 3 of the above you can then move forwards.

on the P2P front, I have had 10k wrapped up in Crowd Funding for nearly 5 yrs now and pulled back between 7.5 and 10% so very happy with it so far.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wish I HAD £1,000 in the 1980s. Could have bought some Acorn shares.

Instead, I spent thousands on keeping an Alfa Romeo on the road.
    Bl00dy good thing, too, my contemporaries bought property in 1988, had ten years of negative equity, and sky high interest rates.

If you got 3% return on £1,000, why bother? The account fees will just swallow it all up.

Put it in a 5% current account.

Play with a Fantasy/Virtual Portfolio, instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure