Travel to the US with extra bags?

Options
I know that sometimes it is possible to find business class tickets that include 2 bags, with barely any difference from economy charges + baggage fees. As I am in need of an extra hold bag and sports equipment it looks like I would have to pay 100 extra, at least on thomas cook. Does anyone know of any airlines that fly into NYC or DC that have reasonable business class offers? Currently, my ticket with the extra baggage looks like it may cost 350.

Comments

• lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You could look at ex-EU fares, that is you start your trip from somewhere like Dublin, Oslo, Stockholm, having got a positioning flight from the UK. I'm not sure what kind of fare you'd pay for business class as I've only done those flights to Sydney.

Head over to https://www.flyertalk.com as there are tons of posts on this subject, start with the BA forums but perhaps check out AA and other airlines too.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2016 at 7:29PM
    Options
    artesin wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any airlines that fly into NYC or DC that have reasonable business class offers? Currently, my ticket with the extra baggage looks like it may cost 350.

the Business class sale fares from DUB tend to be around £950 rtn but you would need to factor in flights to Dublin and possible hotel

you don't say where you are located but from London - New York the cheapest business class seems to be IcelandAir via KEF for around £1,500...direct flights around £1,600+
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    You won't get a business class flight for 350!
    travelover
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just use Avios to upgrade on BA or Iberia. You can buy Avios on Ebay or get them free from TEsco.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another approach is to reduce the quantity of bags so there are fewer expensive extras. Is it essential to take sports equipment for instance? Most of us take far more stuff than we need.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    In addition to the good comments above, unless you have status with an airline I would say stick with the £350 you have quoted, that is a great Transatlantic rate, check the terms and conditions carefully to make sure how much weight in luggage you are allowed.

There have been good business class deals this year with BA and AA for example including peak Summer if you were willing to travel via Dublin for instance. Although you would have to pay the extra for your positioning flight though. You don't give dates of travel, this will have an impact on the price. For proper Business class fares to NYC compared to the 'economy plus' type seats you will be looking at least £1000 IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure