🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scam financial product or not

Options
This number keeps calling 02038683470.He is I think called Michael Appleton.He keeps offering me financial products which sound too good to be true.Firstly some sort of bond associated with some shares I have then GPM property bond at 6 percent.
SOrry I didn't get the firm name but I don't buy investments on the phone.He is keen to seal deal before referendum results.He calls several times a day but I have stopped answering.Please be careful.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you need the "or not" in the title.

Cold calls selling investments are scams.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2016 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Never do business with a financial firm that cold calls you. It's how scammers and criminals get many of their victims.

If you want to invest in property have a look at the legitimate P2P firms that offer lending for property development at 12% before bad debt, that's likely to be reasonable.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Genuine regulated financial services companies do not cold call on investment class business. The minute you get a call about investments or pensions from a firm you have no dealings with and have not requested contact, then you know its going to be anything from a dodgy company through to outright scam. So, you should never ever act on cold calls.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I recommend a phone that allows you to blacklist numbers so that he won't bother you again.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The number is listed as making scam calls. Sorry its a scam. As other posts have said "real organisations"do not cold call to invite investors.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alas, you need to say things like:

Accident,what accident?

I sold everything to pay my debts. I have no stocks and shares any more.

I don't have a PC, I have a MAC.
    And then I don't have a MAC, I use a PC, when they call again.

It's not because you are ugly so I don't want to go out with you. I think I am gay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport