Child Trust Fund to Junior ISA hiccup

Options
Warning: Bit of a saga!!

In February I decided (eventually) to transfer a CTF to a Junior ISA. Round the houses with our regular bank (Santander) with an hour long appointment to open the Junior ISA...all done. Over the next couple of days, had second thoughts as the original CTF was stocks and shares - hmm - with another 5 years to go, maybe a S&S Junior ISA will out perform a cash ISA, based on current rates.

(Santander don't do a Junior S&S ISA.)

So: I phoned Sant and said I had changed my mind. They said that was fine, the account would be cancelled and the CTF transfer cancelled too. This was about 48 hours after opening the account. They would call me if any problems.

Later I got letters confirming the opening, and then the closing, of the account. Great. I opened a Junior S&S ISA online with AJ Bell and requested transfer of the CTF to them.

This is where it gets interesting. The CTF provider (Childrens Mutual) closed the CTF account and sent a cheque to Santander, who then had no account to pay it into! But this didn't happen until MAY... Sant thought Ch Mutual could just tear up the cheque and write a new one to AJ Bell - but no, I now find I have to open a Junior Cash ISA with Santander, pay in the cheque, then transfer it out to the AJ Bell account.

Anyone else had this pain on trying to transfer? Is there any way of finding out why it didn't go to plan (and is it worth it)?
GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport