Computer died. How can I transfer Windows 7 OS to new machine?

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 676 views
Hi all. I have a Dell PC that died recently. A good friend told me it was either a cpu or motherboard problem. So, was browsing a hot deal site today and there is a decent PC that's cheap that has no HDD and no OS. It is a shame to throw my dead PC in the bin when the HDD is fine, but more importantly I own the OS (Win 7). How can I get this OS off the dead PC and use on another PC? Surely I haven't lost my OS just because the PC has died. The dead PC Case still has the Win 97 licence sticker on it.

Any help please?

Replies

• edited 30 April 2016 at 2:08PM
    pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2016 at 2:08PM
    you can download win 7 (iso)from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

you have to enter your serial key

burn to dvd or pendrive and reload

when you are ready ,people will explain how to "burn" the iso

edit: you only have a win97 licence key , where did you get your version of win 7 from?

if you have not got that ser number you might be able to mount the drive in a caddy and extract the ser No using magic jellybean or other program
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Sorry. It's not 97. It's Windows 7. !!!!!! Predictive text.

Thanks for the advice.
  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    ok type ser into that page , d/load the iso and ask for burning instructions when ready
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • ChiefGrasscutterChiefGrasscutter Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is it a full retail copy or OEM copy of win 7?
    (I suspect here that it is a pre-installed OEM copy by Dell prior to the sale).

note that if an OEM copy from Dell the licence key on the machine as seen by keyfinders like 'jellybean' will be Dell's volume licence used to install and will be different from the official licence key Dell allocated to your machine which will be on a sticker somewhere on the PC.

...and I thought that OEM licences can only be used on the original computer and never transferred on......which is why they are so much cheaper than full retail licences.
  • The machine is not with me at the moment.

It came pre installed with Win7 on it but there is a CD in a sealed, clear sellophane packet that is Black and has a Dell logo. If my memory serves me right it says something along the lines of 'Only to be used with a new PC'

Thank you
  • I_have_spokenI_have_spoken PPR
    5.1K Posts
    Forumite
    If it's an OEM copy, you'll need to re-activate using Microsoft's phone-line, maybe have to explain to someone you've changed the mobo etc.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the replacement PC is a Dell one then you should be fine to install Windows 7 from the media and enter the key from the old one's sticker.

If it's not a Dell then there may be issues in trying to do that.

Dell tend to have proprietary cases, power supplies & mobos, but use standard parts for other components (CPU, RAM, drives, cards).

Which model of Dell is it?
  • Will let you know when I get back to work on weds. Thanks all.
  • pappa_golfpappa_golf Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    have you tried entering the ser no (on the broken computer) in the m/soft website to see if it will allow a d/load?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock